Guitar dings and dents

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Isn't it a relief when they happen?  Means I can think about swapping the body of my 1H Charvel Wildcard out soon.

Guitar fell badly off the stand last nights.  It is a crap sounding body anyway.

Since I never sell anything and customise everything, I don't know why I was so worried in the first pace to be honest.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    I don't mind them when they happen on bodies but on necks ? Nah that's the end for me. Can't stand a dinged neck
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Happy new ding day.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I love the first time one of mine gets a ding, it reminds me that they're tools.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The first ding on an otherwise perfect guitar is always particularly painful... After that I stop caring.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    I've got 5 guitars and 3 basses. There's a small body ding on two of the guitars. I used black nail polish to fill one and left the natural coloured one as is, it didnt break the laquer anyway. 

I put a ding in the neck of one of the basses the day I got it. WHen I composed myself I got a wet cloth and a hot iron and steamed the ding out. 

I learnt this trick years ago when someone fell into my long gone 5 string  at a wedding gig. 

I had a 57 ri Strat and broke the neck off. I repaired the neck joint with matches and sanded the neck (sticky nitro anyway) and put a light glaze of furniture scratch polish on it. Everyone who played it preferred it, 

• NeilNeil Frets: 3686
    I hate dings and dents personally.

I've got a few but would much prefer they weren't there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I like the look of a nice new pristine guitar, but for some reason I think a Telecaster looks better if it's old and battered, full of dings and hardly any paint left on it. So it depends on what model guitar it is for me.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9796
    Marks on a fancy flame or quilt top look horrible. I usually buy guitars in flat colours so as not to worry too much about dings and scratches.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9734

Dings on poly-finished guitasr don't look so good though, you tend to get a deep chip with sharp edges.

I inexplicably found a ding in my CAR Strat a couple of weeks ago. The gold was intact and I managed a reasonable touch-up with a thin coat of red and a drop-fill with superglue, but the edges of the red around the hole are darker and spoil what would have been an almost imperceptible repair.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5092
    edited July 2015
    HAL9000 said:
    Marks on a fancy flame or quilt top look horrible. I usually buy guitars in flat colours so as not to worry too much about dings and scratches.
    Funnily enough, in my experience PRSs take dings really well without looking too obvious, even flametops.

But then again I am not a dentist. :D
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    'Guitar Dings and Dents' - Oooer  sounds a great idea for a Franchise operation....!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>