Amateur Radio

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
I always had a fascination for the kit.... never used any mind, but you can't deny there's something attractive about a gadget with a backlit LCD screen and a bazillion indecipherable buttons.

or....

There are boxes similar to the one above that cost NINE GRAND !!!

I suppose the invention of the internet has rendered amateur radio pretty much redundant.

After all.... who really wants to spend thousands discovering whether or not it is ahhh raining in Tokyo ?

Still.... look at the purdy electronics !!
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Well, what a coincidence! Today (my 55th birthday, just in case anyone wants to send money), I am attending a a GMDSS VHF radio course to learn how to use one properly after years of not doing it properly.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of reaching out to people in far distant lands (mind you, on VHF you'd be lucky to reach Chiswick), and in pre-internet days that was all there was - (bar telephoning international numbers at random !), but now the internet has completely short-circuited everything that amateur radio had that was unique.  Why spend thousands on gear to tell someone in Buenos Aries "Queen to Bishop 2" when you can get onto chatroulette and watch them wanking ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12522
    Nothing to add really, for once Emp speaks the truth. Happy birthday Chilli >:D<
    GMDSS. Global Maritime Distress System for use on boats, Emp. Maybe you should think about doing the course, you never know when you might need it!

And I've just livened up the proceedings. Dropping off into sleep mode as usual with my normal, lardy-arsed, laid-back position in the wheeled office chair, I inadvertently pressed the exit door handle behind me, and promptly disappeared off into the workshop next door. Much to the amusement of the rest of the class.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    There are lands far far away that heavily censor the interwebs. They may well monitor the airwaves too for all I know but it would still be possible to get news in or out of those places perhaps.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Emp_Fab said:

I suppose the invention of the internet has rendered amateur radio pretty much redundant.

Not really .. Radio One's still broadcasting ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Same with mobile phones and CB radio.
    Well, despite me falling out the fire exit, I managed 100% in the exam! Yay!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Excellent!! Does that mean you are now officially qualified to ask the chap in Belgrade if he received the bread and butter pudding?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    Well done chilli, and happy birthday!  Awarded one wisdom.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Excellent!! Does that mean you are now officially qualified to ask the chap in Belgrade if he received the bread and butter pudding?
    The shadows become longer as the sun sets. Nod, nod, wink, wink.