United Arab Emirates

What's Hot
Do they have cover bands out there?

How much does stuff cost out there? ie can you talk 'em down on price, are there hidden taxes?

Is there a music scene out there?

What is the internets like out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    edited October 2013
    I live there/here! Abu Dhabi at the mo but might be moving to Dubai early next year. There are a handful of bands but they mostly work in hotels, and are hired and given visas specifically for that role. The music scene otherwise is pretty shite tbh. That said, if you can get into one of those bands it's an easy gig. Dubai is a bit better for music than AbDab but also more arrogant-dickead-expat-filled.

Internet is expensive but fast if you pay for it. Some stuff is filtered but VPNs are cheap (which you'd want anyway for watching UK/US stuff online).

There are basically no hidden taxes. Alcohol is taxed in Dubai but not in Abu Dhabi. You can't haggle much in "name" shops (ie in malls) but you can in markets.

Most imported thigns are a bit more expensive, but electronics tend to be cheaper, gold & diamonds are very cheap, and cars and fuel are both significantly cheaper here than in the UK. Currently it's 1.81 AED per litre, which is 31p :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you for the info.  Did you take all your guitar stuff with you?

Yup. My wife's company paid for a fully-insured shipping container. Opening the Gibson hardcases after 6 weeks in a warehouse and another 3 on a boat was a bit terrifying but all ok :D

It's well worth bringing everything as the guitar shops here are shit and expensive. 

Also, it's bloody hot in summer- 50 or so degrees most of August. It's getting lovely now though; never more than 35 and 28 or so in the evenings. Everything's AC-ed anyway so easy to escape when it's too much. 

Feel free to ask anything more specific :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Got a mate over there working in a function band called The Trix. He loves it out there he does.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I wouldn't be working in a music capacity. I was thinking about being in like a pub covers band; however, I have no idea what the bar (so to speak) scene is like.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    mrs bert did a few "tours"  in Oman,   large ex-pat community over there (or was anyway)  especially  oil and military - and a reasonable live music "scene" to go with it. HOWEVER brings a whole new view on gig travel...........as they can be many hundreds of miles apart.

Mrs berts ex-singing partner still over there, and does the odd gig in Muscat I think.............
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I would have moral and ethical problems moving there.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew;70055" said:
    I would have moral and ethical problems moving there.
    I actually have a moral and ethical problem with not having a job!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @stickyfiddle, what do you do for fun out there? I saw that you were going to see The Killers, so that's a good sign, are there nice bars out there that you can lark about in, like in the UK?
    @stickyfiddle, what do you do for fun out there? I saw that you were going to see The Killers, so that's a good sign, are there nice bars out there that you can lark about in, like in the UK?
    Loads of bars and restaurants as long as you like Asian food you're laughing. There are some spectacular curries in Dubai for bugger all cash- definitely one of the best things about the place IMO.

Most bars are in hotels as the drinking laws are a bit funny but its no problem as long as you don't get so paralytic you can't stand. A lot of the bars have house bands which are popular but do my head in generally! (Just not a big fan of cover bands, despite enjoying being in them myself- standard guitarist I guess :p)

There's a reasonable amount of "established band" music as long as you not too fussy. There's a regular big thing at the beach at Atlantis on the palm in Dubai (google Sandance). It s massive pissup with live bands, hence the Killers the other day. I didn't enjoy it hugely atmosphere-wise but it looked good down the front. The next one of those is Jamiroquai, Chic and Basement Jaxx. They've also just announced Clapton will be playing in March, too, so hopefully getting tickets for that.

• badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 856
    edited November 2013
    I'm going to the next sandance! Going to see friends in Dubai next Friday.
  • That's the way to watch a band!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5614
    I was in Abu Dhabi airport on Monday.
    £6 for a pint of Carlsberg! 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited November 2013
    DiscoStu said:
    Probably the most expensive lager in the world? :D
  • DiscoStu;83658" said:
    I was in Abu Dhabi airport on Monday.£6 for a pint of Carlsberg! 
    That sounds pretty cheap out here tbh!!
  • @stickyfiddle, pardon my curiosity, but what is the accommodation like out there, and how steep is the rent?  What is the mains voltage and what do the plugs look like?
  • Plugs are easy- it's UK outlets and 240V :)

Accommodation is a bit tricksy. Everything is apartments or villas which are roughly in line with London for pricing. Villas are more expensive as you'd expect but obviously more like a proper house. To give an idea we're paying about £24k equivalent for a 1700 sq foot 2-bed flat. On the plus side a lot of places have gyms and pools and/or have shops on the ground floor so you can get bread & milk easily.  Dubai is more expensive than AD atm but it tends to have bubbles, so every couple of years it flips and gets cheaper again. Most landlords require 12 months' rent up front but employers are usually happy to 0% loan that and take it out of salary. Some firms just give a housing allowance instead, which can be huge but bigger salary is better if you're happy living somewhere regular rather than a flash villa.

If you go to www.dubizzle.com you can get an idea of what's what on the housing market.
  • @stickyfiddle, if you ever decide to buy (or need advice) in AD or Dubai give me a shout. My friend is MD of a real estate company that covers both areas. We came back from a week over there last Sunday.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    DiscoStu said:
    Probably the most expensive lager in the world? :D
    not been to Venice then ?      
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • @StickyFiddle, how did you get on with your auto search, and how hard is the AD driving test?