Norovirus - it's shit!

What's Hot
Day 3 of having it. Sunday was the sweats, shivers, aches and cramps. Yesterday was projectile everything! Not too bad today so far but I still seem to have a water jet attached to my arse :(

Going to try and eat later, wish me luck.
littlegreenman < My tunes here...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hope you feel better soon, lgm. Try whisky, it might help.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    Good luck! I had what I'm pretty sure was the dreaded noro a few years back. It made me miss my Dad's 60th birthday. Absolutely the most explosively ill I've ever been. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Keep your fluids up seems to be the advice. Plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. You have my (distant) sympathy.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12522
    Had that on holiday in Morocco. Nasty! As above, lots of fluids help, Dioralyte (sp?) is even better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    We deal with noro stuff at work (public health england). A case a few years ago: a kitchen worker in a restaurant threw up in the stainless steel salad sink. They cleaned it up with disinfectant but it wasn't strong enough to defeat Noro, and 30 people got it that day! Yeuchhh! Salad with Norovirus topping! 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    I started on Friday and am still ill.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • @stonevibe, I feel your pain :(
  • Best wishes to you guys.  The wife, the kids and I all had it at one point last year.  Such was the horror that the slightest bug the kids show we have a panic in case that's what it is again.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116

Make sure you take rehydration salts. This is really important, as I learnt when I spent a week with what I assume was Salmonella: felt like I was in a trance for days, couldn't drive, then as soon as I got the salts, I was back in the room. The pharmacist told us the fallback treatment is sugary drinks and salted crisps

And try not to cough....

• ^ Definitely. We got some of those rehydration powders for the kids initially and they bounced back to life and then we took them and although nowhere near brilliant, it was far better.  If you can stomach it then ice cream is very good for it as well.

For accuracy the thread title should read "Norovirus - it's shits & vomit".

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    I think it's sick.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited October 2013
    Managed to get to Boots and back without any "incidents"! :-O

Got a box of Dioralyte rehydration powders, much better than just water.

Much as I appreciate the sentiment @Phil_aka_Pip, I don't think alcohol would be a good idea right now considering how dehydrated I am ;)
  • Maybe whisky is better for bacterial infections than viral ones. Although it does relieve flu symptoms ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    You have my sympathies dude I had it two years on the trot and the first one was bad but the second one was horrific.

Explosive decompression, fevers, barfing for my country and no sleeping or eating for 5 days were shit. Couldn't even hold on to water or Dioralyte so ended up with a night in hospital for fluids and anti barf stuff.

Keep well hydrated and try to eat summat because they were what made hospital a necessity.

Dry heaving and no matter in your body is epically bad, took about 6 weeks to return to something approaching normal.

Hope it shifts soon @littlegreenman and get loads of rest too.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I had vomiting and diarrhoea briefly last week,, with the stomach pains and fever and stuff. Lasted about an hour, that was plenty! I have sympathy.
    My V key is broken
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    axisus said:
    We deal with noro stuff at work (public health england). A case a few years ago: a kitchen worker in a restaurant threw up in the stainless steel salad sink. They cleaned it up with disinfectant but it wasn't strong enough to defeat Noro, and 30 people got it that day! Yeuchhh! Salad with Norovirus topping! 
    If I remember this correctly you only need about 10 of the little fuckers in your mouth and you WILL get ill the next day.

It is not killed by alcohol hand washes or gels.  You have to mechanically remove it from your hands with soap, water, and rubbing.

When someone barfs or shits explosively then a wonderful aerosol of norovirus fills the air.  When someone gets it on a hospital ward then pretty much half the ward is going down.  Gloves, masks, aprons, and hand washing, hand washing, hand washing.  It can live happily on your hands all day and you won't get ill, but get ten or more of them in your mouth and you're getting it.

Did I say hand washing?  And proper hand washing at that.  Fucking tedious but better than norovirus.
  • Thanks for the concern and advice all :)

Spent the day sleeping a lot and rehydrating, slowly. I'm managing to retain fluids for the first time in 2 days now and have even kept down some toast so I'm hoping the boiled egg I just had will not make a reappearance. Almost starting to feel human again!

@Grunfeld, so does that mean you can re-infect yourself if not careful?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited October 2013
    @Grunfeld, so does that mean you can re-infect yourself if not careful?
    @littlegreenman I have no idea as it happens, good question.  I just remember we had a new infection control doc arrive last year and the guy was brilliant, told us how he got the infection rates down at his last place and said that's what we needed to do anywhere we work with this stuff -- mechanical hand washing with soap, water, and rubbing.  Alcohol gels are useless against viruses with the type of coating noro's got.  The bit that really struck home is how norovirus is fucking powerful, but only if it gets in your mouth.

I'll ask him when I see him again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom