New Yamaha Silent Guitars

koss59koss59 Frets: 887
Has anyone seen the new launch for the silent guitars? Basically has their own version of acoustic modelling built in.
Several guys are raving about them like Dan from Gigrig.
I think it could be the answer for me anyway.

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Haven't seen this. I'll bookmark it for later, I really like the idea of these....and they look brilliant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 887
    Yeah, I'm about as traditional as they come but this just appeals to me for gigging and sounds brilliant, it's also under £500.
    Skip half way through the video to hear them talk about it and play it.
    I've run out of room at home for my acoustic so it's lodging with my parents....but I reckon I could squeeze one of these in nicely.

Worth watching this too.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8628
    Watched that last night - the difference in sound between Dan's piezo equiped Tanglewood (or whatever it was) and the Yamaha was astounding.
  • samldr1984samldr1984 Frets: 32
    Sounds pretty cool.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    That is the best-sounding Yamaha acoustic guitar I've ever heard :).

Modelling is the way forward for acoustic sounds I think - counterintuitively. It sounds so much more natural than any pickup, however it's treated.

I'm also a big fan of putting electric-guitar effects on acoustic guitars too. Interestingly I thought the passive-pickup guitar sounded better overdriven, but less good clean. I still think a magnetic soundhole pickup works best with overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    I heard a busker on Grafton street in Dublin today. He used an acoustic and an AER amp (battery powered) also a mike into the AER and it sounded really good. Possibly the best amplified acoustic guitar sound I ever heard. Sorry for the thread hijack but...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2465

Didn't realise this was out there already but yes, very exciting stuff! I'm a GigRig user myself so hearing Dan get all enthusiastic about it is so cool.

So, official heads up! There's a new Silent Guitar on the way! We should see them start to trickle through in August.

There are 2 models available. The SLG200S (steel strung) and SLG200N (nylon). The key thing with the new ones is the preamp as you will have gathered by now. The originals (still available BTW while stocks last) sounded great. The new one however has the SRT preamp which if you haven't tried you need to slap yourself and go and try one now! So you get a guitar with virtually no acoustic sound at all but plugged in sounds like a perfectly miced acoustic through nice preamps etc. There are three mic models to choose from (2 x Neumann and 1 x Royer). You can do the usual eq stuff, blend in the piezo and it also has a couple of reverbs and a chorus built in too.

If you gig a lot and get feedback, it's something worth checking out. This is just the start for us this year. All I will say is I'm getting very excited!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Watched the vids now. These sound fantastic. So much want.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    I'll have to get my name down for one of the B-stock ones ...

:D

(the nylon string model please)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2769
    I like these -  a friend has the original model and it's nice but the sound was nothing special.   This could overtake the taylor T5 as my net acoustic type buy.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Blimey! Even an old Luddite like me can appreciate that does sound pretty good.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18305
    tFB Trader
    I'll be the first to say I know bugger all about acoustic guitars, but that Yamaha sounds amazing. 

Luddite that I am I thought it sounded better than the Collings. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I used to have a previous generation Yamaha silent nylon string. Great for live gigs, it really does sound nice through the PA or through a good acoustic amp.

But for home use, I would stick with an NCX (the 1200 is lovely)
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3668
    They sound awesome in the clips: Stern, Skolnick, Oz Noy.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Used to have one - the good reverb used to eat batteries. 

They sound great.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Still thinking of getting one when they come out, just wondering if any diva singers might not let me use it as it doesn't look "right"?
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited September 2015
    @rossyamaha

Great info on the new range.

Could I ask whether these could be used with a THR5A? And how it may work as they both have the onboard modelling?

Ps i haven't yet seen the videos as at work, but assuming they don't mention it.

Thanks.