Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11679
    Welcome.

Now give us free stuff.

Please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarWorkzGuitarWorkz Frets: 107
    edited July 2015
    Welcome on board. Nice to have you here. How about you post some of your work in the "Made in the UK" section so we can drool?

I don't know if I would call it drool worthy but this is the latest thing that is getting ready to leave our workshop, we are having issues with the owner and pickups, hence why there are no electronics in it in any of the photos, he can't decide on what he wants to use in it and the thing has had about a dozen different sets in it already and he still hasn't made up his mind over what he wants.

It has been made for the leader and lead guitar player of a country and western band based up in Aberdeen, I think they are called Mad Dog Jessy, or Mad Dog Jessie, it's Mad Dog something and the six shooters, even though they are a three piece band and occasionally a four piece, so I guess that their maths skills are worse than mine, spec wise:

Maple 10 inch radius fretboard with 21 medium Jumbo stainless steel frets
    Mahogany body shaped like a telecaster with the back and sides stained black and the front covered with calf skin, the headstock is also covered with calf skin to match the body, Schaller locking machine heads, rolling string tree.  As for the electronics, we are still waiting for the owner to make up his mind over what he wants sound wise

Incidentally last month we made the drummer a full set of drums that where also covered with in this case cow hide complete with the hair still on the hide, we are trying to get the drummer to bring the drum set back to us so that we can get it photographed professionally.

I tried googling for "GuitarWorkz" - have you got a website?

Yes we do have a website, though it is still in the 'under construction' phase, I've taken a day off from the workshop today to work on it.  We are hoping to have it up and running before the beginning of next month, but we are having issue chasing down photos of our work and getting permission to post photos of the instruments we have built, we recently built a guitar to be used in a childrens T.V show, sort of a Wiggles sort of thing but the 'stars' or characters all play different instruments that match their personalities and costumes, instead of singing along to backing tracks.

scrumhalf said:
    Welcome.

Now give us free stuff.

Please.

Sure, one of the reasons why we are setting up a website is to give away free guitars and music related stuff, until last month it was something we kept on a local scale - Edinburgh and the surrounding area, but starting from August we hope to do it on a national level - cover the entire United Kingdom.  Last year we gave away over a dozen guitars, sure they where not top of the line Gibson's or Fender's, but they where good guitars made by British owned companies but manufactured overseas. 

Like I said one of the reasons why I joined this website is for the 'Made in the UK' section, that is basically so I can find equipment made either in the uk by uk owned companies, or made overseas by uk owned companies, to give away every month - we hold monthly competitions, though that might change to bimonthly.  So to answer your question, sure we will give you free stuff, it will even be of decent quality, but you have to win one of our currently monthly competitions first.

Thanks for the warm welcome people, I've got to get back to doing productive stuff.
    Custom guitars & guitar competitions
    http://www.guitarworkz.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome!

Please can I have one of them cow guitars? I can offer you funds up to, but not exceeding £10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited July 2015
    Santanico Pandemonium derails earnest OP thread...........nothin' wrong with that!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    edited July 2015
    I forgot to mention regarding the above guitar, that we didn't just clone a telecaster and finished it in a finish that Fender nor it's custom shop would do, the dimensions are actually quite different, it you saw it next to a real telecaster even their Squier variety, you would appreciate just how different our shape is.

Not to mention our control layout is completely different from the standard telecasters 3 or 4 way switch, volume then tone control, we actually have the volume control first, then tone control followed by either a 3 way, 4 way or even 5 way switch depending on how you want the guitar wired, sometimes we even do the two volumes with no tone control on our telecaster shaped clones.  The switch whether it be a 3 way, 4 way or 5 way is always located furthest from the strings on our telecaster clones, even if the customers wants it the other way round we wire it our way and leave enough slack in the wiring for the customer to swap things round as they see fit.

We also use custom engraved knobs for our volume and tone controls, I don't think the engraving will show up in a photo taken from my camera phone, but we custom engrave in house knobs for the volume and tone controls, as well as neck plates for our bolt on neck guitars, and headstocks.  The guitar above has a bolt on neck and also features a custom engraved neck plate which I'll try and photograph later to show off the engraving.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    Welcome!

Please can I have one of them cow guitars? I can offer you funds up to, but not exceeding £10.

I see three problems with this:

Firstly, you actually like the guitar enough to be willing to spend any money on it, I won't let you know what we are lovingly calling it at the workshop. 

Secondly, we never make a second version of an instrument, we only make one off's, even if you upped your offer to £20.00 we wouldn't do it, it goes against all of the two principles we haven't sold out on yet, it's just not something we enjoy doing, once we have done something once, we don't want to do it again, that's why we don't have any standard models of guitars, everything we do is one off, it keeps the work interesting.

Thirdly I've sort of vowed to not work with animal hides for a while, well cow hide anyway, I would like to work with snake skin, alligator and crocodile hide in the future, you have to make a jig to stretch them out in every direction and hold them stretched while you attach them to in this case the guitar body, before you then cut the stretched hide that has been attached to the guitar body to shape, simply put it really is a pain to work with, especially if it is something you are not really set up to do on a regular basis.

However if you are willing to add rhinestones, a spittoon and somewhere to hold your chewing tobacco to a guitar, we would be willing to make a shit kicker for you, perhaps with buffalo hide instead of calf skin hide though.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    mike_l said:

Morning mate.

Cloakrooms on the left, toilets on the right bars straight ahead.

Cloakroom on the left and toilets on the right?!

I think I just took a leak in someone's duffle coat.  And DON'T put your hands in the pockets.

Sorry.

:(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Rox said:
    mike_l said:

Morning mate.

Cloakrooms on the left, toilets on the right bars straight ahead.

Cloakroom on the left and toilets on the right?!

I think I just took a leak in someone's duffle coat.  And DON'T put your hands in the pockets.

Sorry.

:(
    My coat's wet....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I love cow pattern stuff!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    edited July 2015
    Welcome on board. Good to see another UK guitar builder here. I'll take a SalmaHayakaCaster if there's one going free.
    I finally managed to get a picture of the custom engraving / etching we did on the neck plate for the guitar in the above photos:

It was not easy to get a photograph of the engraving / etching, there is no way I can get a photo of the custom volume and control knobs we made, I've taken over 50 photos of the them and not one of them shows the custom engraving / etching, I might have to resort to a pencil rubbing of the tops of the volume of tone control knobs we have made.

usedtobe said:
    I love cow pattern stuff!

That is something that has really surprised me about this guitar, I'll be honest and admit that none of us at GuitarWorkz likes this guitar, I would even go so far as to say that out of all the guitars we have made over the years it is the one that all three of us dislike the most. 

Yet it is one of the guitars that people who visit our workshop not only comment on the most, but are the most excited about, the amount of people who have made inquiries into getting a similar guitar made, whether it be a different shape, or hide used, has really got us rethinking our policy of never making a second version of a guitar, we are actually considering a policy of not making second guitars that are identical to previous guitars we have made, but using significant features again. 
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Hello, first off please excuse my spelling and grammar, I'm severely dyslexic.

At least you have an excuse, I'm just ill educated :(

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2015

I totally appreciate you make a living from building guitars, that is brilliant, but why do you feel you have to mention the fact you are Dyslexic when your typing is clearly fine?  A mate of mine is dyslexic and never learn to read or write, still works 7 days a week but is probably one of the most clued up and intelligent people I've met.  I don't judge him either way.

Jesus, I mean, it's not like I harp on all the time about being disadvantaged because I am ginger or anything man.

Was that chemical etched BTW?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited July 2015
    Sambostar said:.

Jesus, I mean, it's not like I harp on all the time about being disadvantaged because I am ginger or anything man.

I feel for you, I really do :(

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2015

I was only joking @Guitarworkz, badly as usual, just in case.

Someone will probably come on in a minute and tell me I shouldn't be joking about dyslexia.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar said:

I totally appreciate you make a living from building guitars, that is brilliant, but why do you feel you have to mention the fact you are Dyslexic when your typing is clearly fine?  A mate of mine is dyslexic and never learn to read or write, still works 7 days a week but is probably one of the most clued up and intelligent people I've met.  I don't judge him either way.

It's lazer etched, we bought a desktop laser etching machine so we could make fancy neck plates and custom metal knobs for the volume and tone controls.  So we try and use it as often as possible.

You have my sympathies for being ginger, as I understand it, it's the one thing we're still allowed to discriminate against.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Sambostar said:

I was only joking @Guitarworkz, badly as usual, just in case.

Someone will probably come on in a minute and tell me I shouldn't be joking about dyslexia.

No, its the other lexia you're not meant to joke about.
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I feel deeply Moooooved that you have decided to show us your cool guitar.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    Sambostar said:

YER FUCKING STINKING SMELLS OF PISS GINGER???? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?????

I'M NOW STOPPING COMMUNICATING WITH YOU. 

I FEEL A SICK COMING ON.....

:)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    I've just noticed it's alefty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom