IK Stealthplug. Worth it?

What's Hot
I downloaded the free demo of Amplitube 3 and it sounds fantastic. A huge improvement over the Line6 Gearbox software I've been using for years.

At the moment I'm using the Line6 Toneport GX as my interface which works ok when I'm recording and using Amplitube as a plugin, but not when I'm trying to jam using Amplitube.

So the idea is to get a decent interface. Now I've been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo but from what I've read of the 2i2, it may not be that great.

So I've looked at the Stealthplug as made by IK media with the intention of using it with Amplitube. My question is, would that suffice for basic guitar recording and jamming at home?

I'm not looking for expert results as my understanding of recording, mixing etc is very basic so something to just get me good results would be great.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    edited July 2015

If you mean LATENCY is the problem when jamming with Amplitube then I fear you have a bit of a problem!

If you have a desktop PC with a spare PCI slot the answer is simple, fit a "fast" sound card like the M-Audio Delta 2496. But, they are getting very scarce now (actually I might sell one of my 3) .

But I bet you have a laptop? Not so easy, you need a good AI and MOST important of all, one with very good drivers. The Scarlet range, the basic ones at least, have not impressed in this area to my knowledge?

Probably the best £100 AI about today Is the Steinberg UR22. It comes with Cubase light and has MIDI ports. The inclusion of these two things tells me the unit probably has decently low latency.

If you can run to £150ish get the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Fantastically solid and fast drivers, actually better than my old 2496 cards!

Dave.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Stealthplug is a piece of shite. Very noisey. Your TonePort is excellent - what's your problem with jammin' using Amplitube? I use an ancient Line 6 GuitarPort (basically a TonePort) sometimes and it works just fine jamming with Amplitube.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3056
    Popped to Maplins and got myself an M Audio M-Track. Cost £70 and it's doing the job fantastically after downloading the drivers. Zero problems with latency.

I'm using a Desktop PC with a pretty decent processor. For some reason the Toneport wouldn't do the job. I couldn't play using the Amplitube software and I had to use almost use Amplitube as an impulse (like you do with cabinet impulses). 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    Stevepage said:
    Popped to Maplins and got myself an M Audio M-Track. Cost £70 and it's doing the job fantastically after downloading the drivers. Zero problems with latency.

I'm using a Desktop PC with a pretty decent processor. For some reason the Toneport wouldn't do the job. I couldn't play using the Amplitube software and I had to use almost use Amplitube as an impulse (like you do with cabinet impulses). 

I am guessing that was the Mk1 version with MIDI? If so you were lucky to find one as they are now discontinued . I was going to suggest the Alesis iO2 which appears to be exactly the same product but I don't know how good they are for latency. I do in fact have a S/H iO2 and it works fine for audio recording but I have not had a chance to check the latency. If it proves to be good it would be a very cost effective solution for a lot of wannabee guitar recordists !

Dave.

After all that I'm actually pretty disappointed with Amplitube 3. It's fuzzy, woofy and it's such a pain with hiss when turning up gain on the modelling amps. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Stevepage said:
    After all that I'm actually pretty disappointed with Amplitube 3. It's fuzzy, woofy and it's such a pain with hiss when turning up gain on the modelling amps. 
    Turn on the noise gate ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    I used the Stealthplug for a good while but recently upgraded (after pc catastrophe) to NI Komplete Audio6 and it is excellent. Never had any great issues with noise on amplitube and the noise gate deals with it if you are using loads of gain. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    After all that I still prefered the results I was already getting with my older soft/hardware and ended up returning the M Track. Ah well!