'Gibson Japan'

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
I see Guitarguitar have a load of 'Gibson Japan' flying vs and non reverse firebirds. I'm assuming the 'Japan' is referring to place if manufacture.

Is this what everyone suspected - the beginning of a move offshore for the basic models? Still 1300 for a v though. Way too steep.

Interesting times.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited July 2015
    I always thought there was no Gibson Japan though. Their jap lines have always been Orville, Orville by Gibson, epiphone Japan and epiphone elitist. I've never seen a guitar branded Gibson which has been manufactured anywhere apart from USA. Leaving out fakes obviously.

Maybe I've completely missed them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2015
    There are always a lot of Gibson's made exclusively for the Japanese market though.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited July 2015
    not often you see these in an official UK dealer though...
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

This is probably more to do with contractually tying the Burny, Greco and Tokai etc factories into making the Gibson marque to protect Gibson as a brand because the Japanese guitars are frickin awesome.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Got a link?

But yes I suspect these are for the Japanese market as opposed to being made there.

IIRC the jap market get special runs with super blingy tops 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27223
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited July 2015
    Beat me to it :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    not_the_dj;721301" said:
    Got a link?

But yes I suspect these are for the Japanese market as opposed to being made there.

Yamano wasn't it?
    Google throws these up as the same thing. Pictures show "Made in USA" on the headstock, which appears to confirm they're for the Japanese market, not made in Japan.
    Adam_MD said:
    not_the_dj;721301" said:
    Got a link?

Yamano wasn't it?
    That's it.
  • SteveGVSteveGV Frets: 344
    Expect to see more of these in the UK very soon. Basically they're limited runs made exclusively for the Japanese market but we're going to be seeing these land over here, and they will also include LP Standards, Traditionals, Studios, Supremes with the original nut width and no G Force. They will still have the logo and adjustable nut, and they are made in USA. These will replace the "normal" USA 2015 dealer allocations.
    We should have all the models on our site later today.

**Signed up to reply to a few comments regarding the shop, had a look about....decided to stick around! Opinions are my own and do not represent the views of Guitar Village.**

steve@guitarvillage.com | www.guitarvillage.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Oooo, this could be interesting, thanks for the info @SteveGV
    SteveGV;721315" said:
    Expect to see more of these in the UK very soon. Basically they're limited runs made exclusively for the Japanese market but we're going to be seeing these land over here, and they will also include LP Standards, Traditionals, Studios, Supremes with the original nut width and no G Force. They will still have the logo and adjustable nut, and they are made in USA. These will replace the "normal" USA 2015 dealer allocations.We should have all the models on our site later today.
    So Gibson have pretty much given up on the 2015s altogether then? Wow.

Obviously you probably aren't able to comment freely, but this is huge. Any idea what might be coming for 2016? Back to "classic" 90's/00's specs?
    Very interesting indeed!

**Signed up to reply to a few comments regarding the shop, had a look about....decided to stick around! Opinions are my own and do not represent the views of Guitar Village.**

Give us the heads-up here when they're on the site @SteveGV ; ;)
  • Then non-reverse firebirds are just what I've been looking for...
    SteveGV;721315" said:
    Expect to see more of these in the UK very soon. Basically they're limited runs made exclusively for the Japanese market but we're going to be seeing these land over here, and they will also include LP Standards, Traditionals, Studios, Supremes with the original nut width and no G Force. They will still have the logo and adjustable nut, and they are made in USA. These will replace the "normal" USA 2015 dealer allocations.We should have all the models on our site later today.
    So Gibson have pretty much given up on the 2015s altogether then? Wow.

Obviously you probably aren't able to comment freely, but this is huge. Any idea what might be coming for 2016? Back to "classic" 90's/00's specs?
    There's been no official announcement on 2016 yet and even our reps are in the dark as to what the new specs will be. 
    I would hazard a guess (and that's purely all this is!) that the nut width and logo might go back to normal but I can't see the G Force going anywhere, Henry seems determined to innovate. Hopefully they will be optional, or at least not on every model, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that. The feedback we've had from customers is they don't mind the tuners, the nut width was the biggy.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    SteveGV;721315" said:
    So they're replacing the 2015 range completely? :D

Give us the heads-up here when they're on the site @SteveGV ; ;)
    I'm cracking the whip as we speak!

I can't help wonder if this was a strategy to shift all the autotuners by introducing a load of horrible changes one year, then remove all but the tuners the following year so they can say "look, we're listening!" and everyone will think it's a good thing. 

FWIW I'm not particularly against auto-tuners, particularly on an acoustic. I just don't like the entire range getting fitted with them in one fell swoop. Anyone smart would've put them on the Standard and Studio and left the Traditional as it was to see how sales developed when both options are in the market. But what do I know?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom