HELP!

So, typically, just as we are super busy, I have an issue that I can't get my head around.

I have a Yamaha CPX500N. Beautifully set up, and lovely.Sounds great plugged in, and regularly complimented on tone and volume.
A couple of weeks ago at a show I noticed some buzz coming off the guitar, like a fret buzz, loud enough that is sounded like a second note on the D and G strings.

I took it to my guy who gave it the once over and noticed some fret wear that could have affected the capo positioning, restrung, set up and sorted. Sounds great. Unplugged.

Last night at a show same thing happened again. Weird fret buzz - not electrical, especially when I dig in.

Knackered piezo? Would running the signal too hot cause this? I was straight into the PA on both occasions and not a DI. Would I DI sort this? 

Any ideas?
Thanks!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3611
    Hot signal will distort but does that sound like fret buzz. Also is it only noted on one or two positions of the fingerboard?
    It is likely that a loose strut inside the body is vibrating and when picked up by the piezo sounds like fret buzz.
    A DI with a suitably high impedance might match the input gain better and improve overall tone but is not likely to be the cause of sudden fret buzz if you didn't have it before.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I once had a similar sounding issue with my taylor - turned out to be a battery rattling when certain notes triggered some kind resonance. 
  • thanks guys.
    With everything else now eliminated looks like a knackered piezo.
    hmm.