Larrivee

Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
edited July 2015 in Acoustics
I have been recently searching for a Martin (OM or 00 body), was looking at around £800ish which on a second hand market should get something pretty decent, whilst searching around I have stumbled across the Larrivee range OM-03 etc and just wanted to know peoples opinions on them.

I am going to get out and have a play on a few and am (I think) still intent on a Martin but my head has been turned by these as they look lovely and I like the idea of something that is not so common place.

Anyone have much experience with them, sound wise I`m after the traditional Martin sound as my Taylor has a newer and more zingy sound, so any guidance is much appreciated good bad etc..............

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    If you want the Martin sound, get a Martin. Larrivees will sound different.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462

My main acoustic is an OM-10. Lovely thing it is. @the_twin is right, they don't sound like a Martin. In fact, it would be closer to your Taylor.

If you have that kind of money to spend you have a whole bunch of options and naturally I am recommend giving a Yamaha a go. You could look at an LL or LS 16 or maybe the A3. None of which sit firmly in the Taylor tonal camp but have their own vibe. Designed to fit around the vocals tonally.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    @the_twin is right, they don't sound like a Martin. In fact, it would be closer to your Taylor

Thanks, that`s what I was looking for.
  • Don't discount them. Definitely try one. For £800. you'll get one new with an all-wood spec. I've had MARTIN and Larrivee and it's a close call. Now I only have a larrivee.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Own three Larrivees, love them.  Agree with other posters, sound nothing like Martins - they have their own vibe - and closer to Taylors as both larks and Taylors have a more modern sound.  IMHO Larrivees superior to Taylors
  • Check out guitarist review of the om02 on YouTube and tell me it doesn't sound amazing. I bought one not long after watching that!
  • My Larivee is a masterfully crafted, lovely sounding thing, and does not deserve to be abused by me! I much preferred the sound to Taylor and the ones I tried were all superior to Martins in the same price range. I like guitars that rrrrrring and respond well to a firm strum.

Definitely worth a try.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Have to say mine is good for fingerstyle but strong point is strumming
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited August 2015
    I've had a couple of Larrivees - they definitely had that Taylor-ish edge to them, but with a much nicer fullness than my Taylors did.  They're kind of a nice mid point between modern and more 'classic' tones, which I liked immensely.

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Cheers peeps, will go and have a play to get an opinion.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If you have an 800 quid budget you´ll get better value from Larrivee in terms of materials ect as you do pay for a name on the headstock. I´d also strongly recommend scouring the classifieds ect. Some nice guitars often turn up.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    If you want something Martin style in that kind of budget then Furch/Stonebridge are worth a look.

These guys are listing a Stonebridge for £950.
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/acoustics01.html
    Some nice acoustics on display there.

Personally the OM1-GT ticks almost all the boxes for me and black teardrop pickguard makes it more desirable, only downside is the stratabond neck though, fussy...you bet!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    I've got a Martin OOO X1AE with a stratobond neck that is brilliant.  It's not as good as my HD28V but it's only 20% of the price.  Don't write a guitar off because of the stratobond neck.