SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

*SOLD* - FS/FT 1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
edited October 2015 in Guitars £

1989 Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman

17" thin-line semi, basically an ES350T with a centre block.  I've shown a photo with my 335 for size comparison (335 is not included! ... LoL).  Great playing and very versatile guitar.    Detailed description below.

Looking for £1650 £1525 shipped in the UK.  Will consider sensible offers and high end guitar trades (money either way), also vintage amps.

Detailed Description

Body:  Construction is Maple ply with full length Maple block.  Floating ebony bridge (not pinned) with Nashville bridge and factory fitted Bigsby B3 with Gretsch style arm (which is great to use). Colour is officially wine, though this one is more cherry to my eyes.

Neck: 3 piece maple with ebony board. 25.5" scale.  Nut is 1 3/4" i.e. slightly wider than normal for Gibson.  Neck profile is very comfortable, somewhere between Gibson current 50's and 60's profiles.  Action will go as low as you want.  Has the Gibson (Schaller) tuners with the fold out lever.

Electrics:  Pickups are the original Bill Lawrence designed humbuckers with the circuit board.  The neck pickup is a low wind at around 6.5k and has great string definition and clarity. Bridge is 8.4k. and got a lot of bite if you want it.  Master volume on treble bout.  Pickup selector switch with 2 individual volume and master tone.

Condition:  No cracks or repairs.  Frets are perfect as the guitar had a fairly recent pro-refret when I got it a couple of years ago, no resulting damage to the ebony board either.  All gold hardware is in good condition.  Original Acetate Tortoise pick guard in good condition.  The lacquer has ambered a lot and there is some checking on the top and neck.  Three worn lacquer patches on the neck which look worse than they feel and I don't notice them at all when playing.  Lacquer wear on the binding of the rear rim, consistent with strap and lead wear (see photos).  White "Gibson USA" label is missing from body interior.  Original Brown Pink lined case is in good condition.  I've got the original black speed knobs and they'll come with the guitar.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Great guitar!  Had one of these many years ago and it was incredibly comfortable to play.  Body is a bit larger than a standard thinline semi but all the better for it in my opinion.  Balances really well as a result.  And, although it is a single cutaway, access to the upper frets is excellent.

The very best bit about this guitar is the Bigsby.....it is the smoothest trem I have ever used and that weird shaped arm is just perfect, doesn't get in the way at all and SO much better than a standard Bigsby.  I found myself using the trem all the time because it's precise and incredibly well made so you can get the faintest of shimmers.

Someone will be very pleased with this.......good luck with the sale!!!!!!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KimKim Frets: 31
    edited August 2015
    Blonde Heritage Sweet 16 maybe?
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Very tempting @Kim it's a beautiful guitar you have there.  But i'm really sorted for hollow bodies just now.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Best of luck with the sale Mr ES. This is a beauty and having played it before and after the refret, it's night and day. Lovely guitar and plays/ sounds superb.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

Thanks @surfguy13 and @shugz.    ;

It is a great playing example this one.   These are a whole lot of guitar for the money.

Still available
    Shout to the top
    Open to sensible offers  :)

hup

Bump

bump .......

edited September 2015
    Still open to sensible cash offers or trades or combos of the two, or even cash your way for the right guitar or amp..
    Price Drop bump
  • KimKim Frets: 31
    Sunburst Nash 63 strat?
    PM sent @Kim
    boomp