Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

should I get a kindle?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
Just toying with getting one.

I've got an old ipad 1 that gets occasional use and an iphone - a year or so ago I briefly tried reading on them but didn't give it much of a chance as I like books.

Is the kindle a lot better?  There seem to be a few variations - Fire, HDX, paperwhite - any thoughts on them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Massive personal preference -- I can't stand the ones which are like computer screens but I love, absolutely love the e ink kindle.  I've not tried a paperwhite one; simply using a standard one and find it perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes - I have the original, so can't comment on the new ones, but as it isn't backlit it doesn't fatigue the eyes.

Highly recommended, from a luddite book lover like me.

Oh, and Project Gutenberg has all those out of copyright classics for free :D

Fill yer boots.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    iPad is pretty heavy for a book reader compared to a Kindle - especially the non-Fire ones.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
     A science-type guy did some science and discovered that every time you put a new "book" onto a Kindle, it gets heavier by one "very small weight measure."

(So mine is about 500 things heavier)

You may be able to tell I am not a scientist, but I did like that.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, everyone should own one
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Kindles are two totally different things. 

The E-Book readers are superb devices for reading books and not lot a lot else. I love mine.

The Fire range are regular tablet PCs restricted to Amazon's walled garden so I'd avoid and get an iPad/Nexus instead if that is what you are looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    monquixote said:
    Kindles are two totally different things. 

The E-Book readers are superb devices for reading books and not lot a lot else. I love mine.

The Fire range are regular tablet PCs restricted to Amazon's walled garden so I'd avoid and get an iPad/Nexus instead if that is what you are looking for. 
    Thanks for that - the project gutenburg site that Lixarto kindly suggested has some steps for using their files on a fire - step 1 "Don't buy a Kindle Fire"   

So I just need to decide if I can live with using the ipad or which version of the basic kindle I want.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16422
    MrsTheweary is rarely far from her kindle. She sat on the first one and smashed the screen but amazon did a deal on a replacement and now she has one you can have backlit if you want.
    The big advantage for her over a book is she can change the font size and read without her glasses.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    If you just want a book reader then, in my opinion, a dedicated device beats an iPad. Lying by the pool on holiday on a lounger and holding your 'book' in one hand....well, that's not been too great for me with an iPad. I have a Kindle and an iPad and the Kindle gets a LOT of use.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited October 2013
    *cough* as new  £40 posted  *cough*
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Of all the non-essential toys I've bought over the years, my Kindle surprised me the most.  I was never an avid reader and bought mine on a whim to have something to take on holiday with.  It has turned out to be the best £60-odd I've ever spent.  Make sure you get a good quality case for it.  I cherish mine.  Also... get a free programme called Calibre for your PC to manage your book libraries.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    With a Kindle, does that mean you can't read books that you bought for 20p down the charity shop on it? If so, I'm not getting one.

• With a Kindle, does that mean you can't read books that you bought for 20p down the charity shop on it? If so, I'm not getting one.
    Well, a Kindle reads E-books, so it could probably manage a copy of Geoffrey Boycott's autobiography.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I havent seen books for 20p in charity shops for years.
    My V key is broken
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yeah- definitely worth getting a Kindle. 

My other half asked me did I want one and I was 'Noooo! I prefer books!' But she got me one anyway, and it is brilliant.
    You can take a massive pile of books on holiday and they all fit into your back pocket. And if you nod off whilst reading it doesn't wake you up when it topples onto your chest.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    I've got a Kindle but if I was doing it again I'd get a Kobo one.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/oct/21/amazon-forces-publishers-pay-vat-ebook

Amazon use their own proprietary ebook format that contains all kinds of DRM.  Pretty much every other reader supports the standard EPUB format.

These days I try to source epub books from other sites and use Calibre to manage my library and put them on my Kindle.  That way I'm not supporting the crooks at Amazon.
  • crunchman said:
    I've got a Kindle but if I was doing it again I'd get a Kobo one.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/oct/22/amazon-wipes-customers-kindle-deletes-account

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/oct/21/amazon-forces-publishers-pay-vat-ebook

Amazon use their own proprietary ebook format that contains all kinds of DRM.  Pretty much every other reader supports the standard EPUB format.

These days I try to source epub books from other sites and use Calibre to manage my library and put them on my Kindle.  That way I'm not supporting the crooks at Amazon.
    Calibre sorts that out for you though,superb ebook management software..we have 2 kindles and an iriver story(which i prefer) in the house and it takes no effort to put an amazon purchased book onto it.
    edited October 2013
    holnrew said:
    I havent seen books for 20p in charity shops for years.
    This year I've been doing some work with a charity called Healthy Planet (whose website appears to be down at the minute) - they support a chain of shops called Books For Free, which ... well, you can guess the rest.

A wholly worthwhile endeavour IMO :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    I know Calibre can put Amazon stuff onto other devices, but I'd rather not give my money to Amazon if I can help it.

Their Luxembourg VAT scam is really bad.  And to make it worse, if the publisher sells direct at a cheaper price they will stop selling their ebook on Amazon.  Given their near monopoly that is a complete abuse.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Thanks chaps, I'm persuaded and you've answered my second question about how I would deal with non amazon ebooks :) I just need to decide if the paper white backlit type versions are worth the extra.