Please help ! Need a good quality good value acoustic , recommendations please !

After playing acoustic guitar in the studio recently, I realise how much I missed it . I'd like to get one . It won't be played live , just at home and it'll need to record well . I'll be looking for biggest bang to buck , I'd love to get something decent second hand for around £300-£500. I'm mostly an electric guitar player , so I'll be looking for something that'll suit me .something fairly traditional , and something that an electric player can easily pick up. I've recently tried a Martin , Taylor and seagull. The Taylor played great , the Martin played great , the seagull was great but I didn't like the wide neck . Suggestions please , I'm lost !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    If you are used to electric then I'd go with a smaller bodied acoustic (OM size) to start with.
    Second hand you could get a Larrivee OM02, Yamaha LS16 (LL16 is the bigger size), Taylor 312, then there's cheaper Sigmas (very similar in design to Martins).

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7896
    Some blueridge and guilds are great. What sound are you after first off?
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    To be honest I don't know what kind of sound I'm after ! I'm a novice when it comes to acoustic ( I've been an electric player for nearly 30 years , last acoustician had was a seAgull 12 string nearly 15 years ago ) so I don't really know what's out there !
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Vintage range are all good and within your budget new. V300 or V400? As above Sigma are great value as well.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Check out the faith on here . can't see you doing better for money.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    edited August 2015

I'll be watching this thread with interest (and hoping it expands).  I've just spent a couple of weeks holidaying at a friend's rather swish second home up in North Yorkshire and he keeps a Larrivee dread there as his spare (an £800 spare - sheesh).  I totally fell in love with it.  Huge sound and fantastic playability.  Perhaps a little too heavy on the low end for a strummer like me (no finger-style here).

I have decided that I really need to trim the leccy herd back a tad and scrape some money together for a decent acoustic.  Trouble is now that I've played and loved the Larrivee I'm worried that 'lesser' Sigmas and Vintages might not do it for me. 

Me and this mate go to the London Acoustic Show every year and I might try and get a show discount there. 

I liked the look of the 15/16th sized Martin as reviewed in the latest Guitarist mag...

EDIT - just seen a couple of similar threads, include Drew's below this.  Will do some reading

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• I say this on EVERY sub £400 acoustic thread, but I have a Vintage Paul Brett 12 string. It's fantastic & I bought it over several more expensive guitars.
    (I music radar are somewhat "generous" in their reviews, but here it is anyway)

I also liked the a lot of the Sigma range and the lovely Taylor GS mini.