Bonding with guitar.

What's Hot
GruGru Frets: 339
I wanted to discuss this as it is something that I have never managed to do, until now.

The guitar in question is a Martin OMXAE purchased from Peach 6 months ago.

It was almost a purchase that didn't happen due to trying a GS Mini Hog as a comparison. Initially I walked away, but returned the following day to purchase.

The slightly bigger 45mm but width took a little getting used to but it soon become apparent how much I prefered the extra string spacing at the nut and bridge. The sound I can only describe as balanced, rounded and smooth.

However I had taken it for granted and over the last couple of months have tried a solid top Yamaha and also a Sigma 000M-15. Thinking that an all wood, solid top will be better.

Now all wood guitars are nice (not gloss ones mind) and after a couple of weeks exclusively playing the Sigma, considered selling the Martin. In a nutshell it was worth more.

Before making a snap decision I played the Martin again, and it heard this wonderfully smooth tone that I had become familiar, which I realised was missing from the Sigma. I can't quite put my finger on it, but you probably know what I mean.

With the Sigma gone I was back playing the Martin last night and loved every second. One characteristic of the OM in HPL is that it isn't loud, (not the way I play anyway) something I love (my wife probably does too). I can still get it to respond to a delicate or firmer touch. For me it's got 'that' sound.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm scraping cash together for a proper good acoustic. I like the Martin's I've played. I tried a used one in a shop, and the bridge was a mile high, so I left it, but when I got home, and played my hog Tanglewood, which i'd loved, it sounded like a bag of nails. I put it up for sale, immediately. Definitely going to check out some lower end Martin's! They do have that sound!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom