PS4 won't play audio CDs, or stream from PC etc

What's Hot

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Well, not straight away... chances are the fans will kick up a fuss and that will change...

PS4 + XBO = console by internet committee 
  • Myranda said:
    Well, not straight away... chances are the fans will kick up a fuss and that will change...

this

DLNA missing is a strange one tho.

I personally am not too fussed, I play games on games consoles.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 380
    Kills it for me. My PS3 is the homes multimedia hub, If the PS4 doesn't do that then I'll not be bothering

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33991
    WYNIR0 said:
    Kills it for me. My PS3 is the homes multimedia hub, If the PS4 doesn't do that then I'll not be bothering

I use a £99 Apple TV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    WYNIR0 said:

I use a £99 Apple TV.
    In fairness, when spending £400 on a console that is perfectly capable and in every way capable of streaming video and music (bar the current software) its not unreasonable to demand it does the same things the previous version does. But then people bought a Phone that couldn't copy and paste in texts after using phones that could for years and didn't complain... so maybe I *am* unreasonable ;) 
    Myranda said:
    octatonic said:
    WYNIR0 said:

I use a £99 Apple TV.
    In fairness, when spending £400 on a console that is perfectly capable and in every way capable of streaming video and music (bar the current software) its not unreasonable to demand it does the same things the previous version does. But then people bought a Phone that couldn't copy and paste in texts after using phones that could for years and didn't complain... so maybe I *am* unreasonable ;) 
    No argument here, but I was just saying that my 'hub' is a much cheaper device.
    I have an Xbox 360 but it spends most of its time off.
    The ATV is very low power- it is MUCH cheaper to run over the course of a year than leaving an Xbox or PS3 on 24/7.

I don't really game much anymore- Ive considered getting rid of actually.
    Hehe, my media hub has gotten considerably less energy efficient lately...

Was, Xbox + 1920x1200 monitor + 20W speakers (I'm convinced they must be valve watts as they're bloomin' loud for 20W).

Now 760W PC + multi-monitor setup + laptop, and in the other room (being used by my mother now) the above.
    Apple TV is not much cop for gaming.  

Or playing ripped movies unless jailbroken. (?)

Though I could use my WDTV if necessary.

Rather have a PS4 that can strea,m DLNA though.

monquixote said:

Especially when PS4 games are hitting the 50GB range and require installation onto the 500GB drive ... not leaving a lot of room for movies and music.

Also... 

Who decided that a 50GB install onto a SATA II 5400RPM drive was a good idea? a 7200RPM SATA III wont cost much more but with a 50GB game for the system to trawl through I'd want every bit of speed I can find. At least you're allowed to upgrade this.
    WYNIR0 said:
    Apple TV is not much cop for gaming.  

Or playing ripped movies unless jailbroken. (?)

Though I could use my WDTV if necessary.

I can easily play ripped movies, either by encoding them to the right format or using an app called 'beamer' which is a drag/drop app that sends video to an ATV & deals with virtually any format.

but no, not useful for gaming.
    Yet. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    I use a Pi for streaming. 

I don't really care about physical media so the CD thing doesn't bother me as I'm not sure my PS3 has ever had a CD in it. The DNLA thing seems a bit of a retrograde step though.
  • It's an odd decision considering their previous push for the PS3 to be a media hub. Tht means lots of people, like me, have the PS3 as their primary device for playing all media, and would need to buy a ps4 AND something else to replace that functionality, which is daft. I get that they're trying to push people toward their streaming services but they can fuck right off. I won't buy one until DLNA is patched back in.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Or, just keep the PS3.
    My V key is broken
    Seems that Sony have responded to the uproar and have promised to pass the feedback to the developers. Looks likely that DLNA and MP3 playback will be patched at a later date.

monquixote said:

• WYNIR0 said:
    Seems that Sony have responded to the uproar and have promised to pass the feedback to the developers. Looks likely that DLNA and MP3 playback will be patched at a later date.

its probably a publicity stunt, might have worked out that the Xbox uproar a couple of months ago ended up being a positive for Microsoft so Sony thought 'we need some of that' :p 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    I've been giving this a fair bit of thought - since I got Netflix I haven't done any PC based streaming at all but I would like to have the option.

However, after a poke around my TV paperwork it seems like the telly supports DLNA streaming on its own, and it will also read a variety of audio and film files via USB on a stick or an external HDD. I've also discovered that it will do Skype if I bought a camera for it.

So it seems I've already got the kit I need to cover any PS4 shortcomings - with the exception of a CD player. We only use the PS3 as a CD player if we get a new CD and want to play it immediately rather than rip it, so for the sake of a 5 minute wait to rip it to iPod and plug that into the AV amp (which we do for most music) I'm not too upset about losing CD use.

So I'm going to keep my pre-order slot

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27835
    edited November 2013
    holnrew;71942" said:
    Or, just keep the PS3.
    But that would remove the symmetry of my setup. They won't stack because neither of them have a flat, level top.

Also, I want to put the PS3 in the bedroom so I can use it for DLNA!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I think all of the software/film/music companies want to get away from physical media. So by dropping DLNA that is one step to forcing people down the subscription route.
    Look at apple all the latest macs have no DVD player.
    Get rid of physical media and go to stream only you have a chance to stop piracy.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    I like the idea of streaming - but I don't like the 1 film at a time rule from Netflix as it means I can't watch something different when my kids are watching something

And I don't like the picture quality being dependent on my out-in-the-sticks web connection. That's why I buy blu-rays.

And to quote a chap on another forum - 'ripping from Netflix is as difficult as breathing' - but I'm not a techie so I don't know if he's just bragging or not.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    re DLNA: It should be patched in after launch, firmware 1.5.
    re the PR handling of it: I sometimes wonder why I bother getting out of bed, just so the idiots at the top can drop depth charges on me for another day....
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom