Iron Maiden's new album...

What's Hot
OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
Anybody interested in this then?

A while ago I made a thread "Do we really need another...?" Which attracted some interesting responses. Pose that same question: do we really need another Iron Maiden album? Answer: absolutely! Why? Because The Final Frontier was a bit crap and not worth the plastic it was released on.

However, Classic Rock say this one sounds promising (I don't trust them for everything anymore though) and they included a video for a song from the album (Death or Glory), which sounds pretty damn good in my opinion.

Link: https://classicrock.teamrock.com/reviews/2015-08-11/iron-maiden-the-book-of-souls-review

Thoughts?
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I quite like The Final Frontier. Takes a bit to get into though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Oh, and I have the new one on pre-order already.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2938

I love Maiden and everything they've done for the Metal genre, but IMO they've not really done anything new since Seventh Son.

• vizviz Frets: 10734
    Just listened to final frontier for the first time and found it by far the most interesting thing they've released for many years. Since Powerslave even.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Yeah, Maiden were definitely one of my favourite bands when growing up. Saw them countless times at Hammersmith, Wembley, Tampa and Donnington.

But it all started going slightly poor for me with No Prayer for the Dying, with Fear of the Dark being a little better. But then it all went very bland for me. I noticed that Steve H's writing seemed to centre on a lot of the choruses being composed of repeated lines which seemed lazy and uninspired. Whilst Janick is energetic, I don't warm to his tone or style either.

I bought Dance of Death which had some ok moments, but I just can't get past the feeling that they used to have a brilliant pace and melody and that disappeared.

I'll be interested to see what this latest one is like, but unfortunately I think the Maiden boat has sailed for me ;-(
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    Yeah, Maiden were definitely one of my favourite bands when growing up. Saw them countless times at Hammersmith, Wembley, Tampa and Donnington.

But it all started going slightly poor for me with No Prayer for the Dying, with Fear of the Dark being a little better. But then it all went very bland for me. I noticed that Steve H's writing seemed to centre on a lot of the choruses being composed of repeated lines which seemed lazy and uninspired. Whilst Janick is energetic, I don't warm to his tone or style either.

I bought Dance of Death which had some ok moments, but I just can't get past the feeling that they used to have a brilliant pace and melody and that disappeared.

I'll be interested to see what this latest one is like, but unfortunately I think the Maiden boat has sailed for me ;-(
    Have you heard Brave New World? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @joneve - actually, I think I bought that, but given that I don't remember it, I wonder if I didn't warm to it or that I didn't bother!!

Perhaps I'll give it a spin.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm buying it just cos I want to hear the 18 minute track!
    @joneve - actually, I think I bought that, but given that I don't remember it, I wonder if I didn't warm to it or that I didn't bother!!

Perhaps I'll give it a spin.
    You really should - I'm indifferent about most of their newer stuff (each album has decent tracks and some filler) but Brave New World is like Maiden of old.
    joneve said:
    Brave New World is like Maiden of old.
    You filthy tease. I now have no choice. :-)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    I like The Final Frontier as well - I thought it was the best thing they'd done since Brave New World. I'm looking forward to the new album.
    joneve said:
    Brave New World is like Maiden of old.
    You filthy tease. I now have no choice. :-)
    :D Go into it with an open mind - it still doesn't QUITE match NOTB - SSOASS era, but comes DAMN close IMHO. 
  • Brave new world is one of my favourites. Some good tracks on there for sure.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    Brize said:
    I like The Final Frontier as well - I thought it was the best thing they'd done since Brave New World. I'm looking forward to the new album.
    I really like Final Frontier - just get fed up of the long non skippable into to the title track. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23204
    I absolutely love Brave New World and Dance of Death, but I find both A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier a bit of a trudge, with a lack of real standout tracks.  

Maybe they fell into that old trap of working in the same way, with the same producer, for too many albums in a row.

Fingers crossed for the new one...

• I loved Final Frontier. I didn't like it much to start with but it grew on me a lot and now it's one of my favourites. They seemed to try to put a more varied array of textures on it.

To be honest they have a real job on their hands to balance themselves between the 'classic' Iron Maiden stuff and to try new things, innovate and keep it fresh.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26797
    Philly_Q said:
    I absolutely love Brave New World and Dance of Death, but I find both A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier a bit of a trudge, with a lack of real standout tracks.  

Interesting...I think A Matter of Life and Death is probably their best album to date.

Final Frontier's still shit, though.

Diff'rent strokes etc :)
    <space for hire>
  • New Single was on 6music earlier. Sounded like maiden, but with muddier tone and cowbell.
    New Single was on 6music earlier. Sounded like maiden, but with muddier tone and cowbell.
    Probably not enough cowbell I'd assume
    Interesting...I think A Matter of Life and Death is probably their best album to date.

Final Frontier's still shit, though.

You. Are. Wrong.

The first 2, with DiAnno singing are the worst. To the point of I have them, but haven't listened to them in around 15 years.