Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Kraken

What's Hot

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    https://flic.kr/p/tXQHU8

The V30 still has some serious gain! I got mine off @evildurka and it's replaced my 5150 even for my rock covers band - it's a beast. The Kraken sound great too of course. Victory seem to be covering every angle!
    Bear in mind in these vids we are playing at just above bedroom volume and thru a Zilla fatboy 2x12. And the Guthrie Charvel is quite stratty and spanky - with his LP and Washburn N4 it sounded a bit more meaty!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    screw the amp… that guy plays so wonderfully..
    I love his note choices and phrasing...
    Yep, he's the real deal. Probably one of my favourite players around today. I suppose it helps that my all-time favourite player's one of his biggest influences...
    who'd that be ??
    play every note as if it were your first
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27039
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    Yep, he's the real deal. Probably one of my favourite players around today. I suppose it helps that my all-time favourite player's one of his biggest influences...
    who'd that be ??
    Nuno :)
    <space for hire>
  • Vaiai;745993" said:
    https://flic.kr/p/tXQHU8

The V30 still has some serious gain! I got mine off @evildurka and it's replaced my 5150 even for my rock covers band - it's a beast. The Kraken sound great too of course. Victory seem to be covering every angle!Bear in mind in these vids we are playing at just above bedroom volume and thru a Zilla fatboy 2x12. And the Guthrie Charvel is quite stratty and spanky - with his LP and Washburn N4 it sounded a bit more meaty!
    Does the clean channel take pedals like overdrive, fuzz and distortion well?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:
    who'd that be ??
    Nuno :)
    quality player… absolutely top drawer..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Order may be about to take place.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 50w, sounds like a beast, small and under 10kg's... so want. 
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    Id love one too. Aint gonna happen any time soon though
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited August 2015
    I had the V30 and was a huge disappointment.

I may give Victory another try with this amp
    I was going to say based on your previous view of the v30 I wouldn't bother mate because of the shared eq. However as this has 2 dirty channels it is possible that you will be able to find an appropriate eq setting for your needs this time around. And if not you can always send it back ;)

I love victory amps and have tried friedman amps too which are also spectacularly good just different. I feel that there is room for improvement in the victory camp but as they are still relatively new I'll forgive them that.
    edited August 2015
    Evildurka;749107" said:
    I was going to say based on your previous view of the v30 I wouldn't bother mate because of the shared eq. However as this has 2 dirty channels it is possible that you will be able to find an appropriate eq setting for your needs this time around. And if not you can always send it back ;)

I love victory amps and have tried friedman amps too which are also spectacularly good just different. I feel that there is room for improvement in the victory camp but as they are still relatively new I'll forgive them that.
    The shared eq wasn't the problem.

The issue I had was that the amp sounded dreadful no matter what you did with it.

Tone was dark and lifeless.

Maybe I was naive in thinking it would be a similar tone to the Cornford amps. How wrong I was as they were poles apart.

The kraken however seems to be a step in a completly different direction tone wise and I may well take a chance on it.

Like you say I can always send it back and I agree that they are still a fairly new company and are still evolving
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fortheloveofguitar;749142" said:
    [quote="Evildurka;749107"]I was going to say based on your previous view of the v30 I wouldn't bother mate because of the shared eq. However as this has 2 dirty channels it is possible that you will be able to find an appropriate eq setting for your needs this time around. And if not you can always send it back ;)

The shared eq wasn't the problem.

The issue I had was that the amp sounded dreadful no matter what you did with it.

Tone was dark and lifeless.

Maybe I was naive in thinking it would be a similar tone to the Cornford amps. How wrong I was as they were poles apart.

The kraken however seems to be a step in a completly different direction tone wise and I may well take a chance on it.

Like you say I can always send it back and I agree that they are still a fairly new company and are still evolving [/quote]

Apparently the dark tone is opened up a great deal with a mod for a presence control.

However, it's a simple mod - why not stock?

The v40 still looks brilliant - sounds, in videos, sort of tweedish but not really, deeper and blackfacey too but not quite like a twin. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a fender inspired circuit, like a brownface or something, the gut shot in the manual looks tidy too.

Kraken clips do sound really good, but I still kinda think it's got a big competition from the 6505 - if it gets that sort of tone from that small a box, it's an absolute winner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The presence control mod to my silverback has made it into a monster. I preferred it to the smallbox 50 I had in a big way. The small box was a killer amp no doubt but the victory was in my mind better. Tone is subjective as I have stated many times before and I do think that victory should put presence controls on all of their amps but what do I know lol
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    good luck to chappers - he's livin a dream - maybe not THE dream but still a dream many of us would aspire  to ... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2015
    @fortheloveofguitar not had chance to play around properly yet with it but the kraken seems very nice indeed through a 1x12 open back cab. Will be running it through my 2x12 as soon as I get 10 minutes to myself over the next couple of days. I went for the 6L6 loaded version as I have el34's in my silverback and plan on doing some comparisons between the 2 and swapping the valves round and seeing what effect it has tonally.

I would suggest trying one out it might be your bag and if not you can send it straight back. It certainly seems different tonally to the v30, hell it even made my explorer sound good with everything set at halfway on the tone stack which is an achievement at the moment(it's having bare knuckle surgery soon :D )
    edited September 2015
    @evildurka

Hey buddy

I didn't even realise they had them in stock yet

I'm still looking at getting one in and giving Victory another try.

The fact that you say it's tonally different to the V30 is very promising
    edited September 2015
    Well my explorer is a very dark sounding instrument has some real chunk to it and it was sounding pretty sweet yesterday. Will have a more subjective view when I have tried I through the 2x12. I can say so far I like it more than the 5150 50w I had which was a fantastic amp too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My problem is that I already have an amp which can do (almost) all of what the Kraken can, but I still want one. OK, so my JCA22H doesn't have the two master volumes, but I actually can't think of a live situation where I'd need them.

Of course, I also want a Helix and FRFR monitor for a lightweight rig, which is mutually exclusive with having yet another amp.

Bah.
    <space for hire>
  • Well I'm going to take it to the Nottingham amp day so you can check it out if you are going ;)
    edited September 2015
    The bottom end is deffo there on the 2x12 so the bass focus really helps to tighten it up. Channel one is much thicker like an extra meaty Marshall the higher the gain is set, channel two cuts like a knife and has massive amounts of gain I'm fucking loving it. Have only tried it with my les paul through the 2x12 be interesting to see what it feels like with a more stratty guitar and my Kramer 5150 clone too.