REAPER 5

Is out today.  £40

http://www.reaper.fm/

Just a heads up cos it's been a while since a new version number. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Anything big feature wise or did the increments just get up to 5?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited August 2015
    I shelled out for it anyway cos it's cheap as chips, and basically because I'm fairly happy with Reaper since v.1 and I know how to use it and I wanted to buy into the free releases between this v.5 and v.6.99.

However, it see it's now got VST3 support which is the next biggie.  The MIDI seems better insofar as you can see it (and tweek it) in the track.  Tbh I reckon I'd need to be in the MIDI editor to get the detail but at least you can see immediately where the problem is with, say, a note that was problematic.  Sonar has had this for ages and it was something I missed from Reaper. 

Apparently there are video tweaks and all sorts as well.  I think the in line MIDI is what I wanted most.

Full list of new shit.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It still looks and feels like ass. Blergh :-/
    Drew_fx said:
    Thing is, I know what you mean.  I've always felt "happiest" in Sonar.  But... Reaper works.  They (DAWs) seem very similar nowadays in terms of functionality and the artistic bit comes down to navigating the workflow.  Reaper, for me, is a compromise.  It scores massively because it works and because it's powerful, and because it's cheap.  But, if Sonar wasn't a pita I'd use that.
    Drew_fx said:

Last time I shopped around only cubase had a comparable drum editing view
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2015
    Bummer my license was only good through 4.x guess they have earned the forty quid though
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2015
    Bummer my license was only good through 4.x guess they have earned the forty quid though
    My thoughts exactly.  For me, I can have a musical idea, fire Reaper up, and within a minute I'm recording it.  That is why I like it.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah, it's a good host no doubt. Has lots of features. But when I used it as my main DAW - solidly for two years - I noticed I was configuring it a helluva lot, and not actually using it.

I needed something more straight forward. Fucked about with Logic for a bit, but she was a whore. So I found purity in the form of Studio One, and never looked back.

Always been a Cubase guy at heart I suppose... and S1 is a bit like a mixture of Cubase and Logic.

For my work I have to use them all though. Bummer.
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah, it's a good host no doubt. Has lots of features. But when I used it as my main DAW - solidly for two years - I noticed I was configuring it a helluva lot, and not actually using it.

I needed something more straight forward. Fucked about with Logic for a bit, but she was a whore. So I found purity in the form of Studio One, and never looked back.

Always been a Cubase guy at heart I suppose... and S1 is a bit like a mixture of Cubase and Logic.

For my work I have to use them all though. Bummer.

I switched after cubase sx, I quite liked cubase but mix downs always sounded totally different to playing the project back and it was doing my head in. Assume that they've prob solved that by he to be fair.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
    I will have to give the new version a try. Seeing as I just noodle around at home mostly, Reaper is perfect for me, no real need to spend a load of cash for a home player. . . it does all I need it to, and I am with Grunfeld, it is nice and easy to fire up and get ideas down without too much hassle :)
    I tried it last night, pretty much exactly like reaper 4 but with slightly flasher looking skin. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ