SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

import costs

What's Hot
spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
Looking at a guitar from USA, cost about 1k, any idea of customs costs?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    About 23% in total usually.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    BGG is about right

20% VAT on the goods plus the shipping cost too and 3-4% Duties on the cost of item, but can sometimes include the shipping cost too depending what mood they're in and the sellers invoicing.

• add whatever the shipping costs to the 1k, then add 25% to that total. 

Its increasingly rare that doing so is actually worth the hassle anymore. Obviously depends a lot on the individual guitar though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Also noticed the last few years parcel Force, UPS etc all charge an extra £10-£20 admin/handling fee too the robbing
     gits !!
    #thebatesmotelband
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    add whatever the shipping costs to the 1k, then add 25% to that total. 

Its increasingly rare that doing so is actually worth the hassle anymore. Obviously depends a lot on the individual guitar though. 
    Well..its a particularly nice Gibson, not seen one with this finish in the UK at all.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

This is pretty much spot on. A few years ago lots of stuff seemed to get through without fees but now everything gets stopped and won't be delivered until you pay fees. I bought a strap from the states that arrived this week. I thought that may get through as it was cheap but alas no - £3.65 in duty and an £8 handling fee!
  • BGG said:
    Also noticed the last few years parcel Force, UPS etc all charge an extra £10-£20 admin/handling fee too the robbing
     gits !!
    Originally posted by @fretmeister:

They [parcel force] have plenty of paper work to do - they complete the VAT return to the HMRC on your behalf. They are able to do this electronically and the HMRC are content to allow them to release the item to you when they've done that paper work. On small items they even pay the Vat for you to speed up the process.

If they didn't do it, then when it arrived you would get a letter advising of the item arriving. Then you would have to complete the Vat returns to the HMRC and post them off. Then the HMRC would (in about 6 weeks) write to you to inform you of the monies owed. Then you would make payment.

Then another 6 weeks later you would get permission to have the item and you could collect it.

It might be annoying, but that £8 saved you more than a month of sodding about with the HMRC yourself before the item was officially allowed into the UK.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Bought a Nintendo 3ds game from the states for my daughter, size of a cd... Cost £39 to buy, then shipping @5 ish, and the total cost me near on £60! Gutted? Yep.
  • BGG said:
    About 23% in total usually.
    Seems right, i paid £232 on roughly a grand when importing from USA, this would be about December 2014 i guess
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/  

try this - just remember UK shipping agent gets a fee - royal mail dhl etc   - primarily for collecting duty I believe 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897

Another +1 for this.

I always work on Item + Shipping + 25%. Sometimes it's a little less, but best to err on the safe side.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........