Value of 69 LP custom?

What's Hot
I've seen a black 69 custom (no volute) in a London store, No idea why I picked it up but sounds and plays amazing!

The neck has been refinished, apparently no breaks under black light, but I think the neck has been re profiled to be slimer, also refret with jumbo frets.

Not really sure on value with the mods, it's up at £3250, which is more than I can afford right now or ever really! But it's such a beast, I just don't want to go for it and be stuck with it if I need to sell
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72449
    Sounds about right. A new one will cost you that.

It can only go up in value too.

A refret with jumbos - if they're not stupidly huge - is an upgrade as long as the work has been done perfectly. A possible neck shave would be more of an issue, but again if it's been done properly and is not ridiculously thin it shouldn't affect the value much - there are as many people who like nice slim necks as like great lumpy baseball bats :).

Be careful that it is a real '69 (no volute) and that isn't the reason the neck has been refinished though… although to be honest, even an early 70s one for that money isn't too bad given the new price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Would make a good base for a Mick Ronson replica. :)
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I have a 69 Custom and I love it.
    There were a few changes made to the spec during 69.
    The early 69's were like 68's,one piece body and long tenon neck.Mid 69 they have one piece body and trans tenon necks.
    Late 69 the body is pancake.
    The early spec will up the price.Check this link for all the info you  need. http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    ICBM said:
    Be careful that it is a real '69 (no volute) and that isn't the reason the neck has been refinished though… although to be honest, even an early 70s one for that money isn't too bad given the new price.
    Quickest way to tell is the logo. If the B and O are open it's from the sixties; if the B and O are closed it's from the seventies.
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited August 2015
    It should have no "Made in USA" stamp either.
  • Think I may need to look at it more throughly, not going to be back in London for a few weeks at least though now
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72449
    At that price you may not have that option… I wouldn't expect it to hang around long.

It is still a lot of money, so sadly I can't justify buying one - I once had a '68, which I sold when they were only worth a grand - although that was a lot of money then, also about three grand at today's prices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If it were a 68 at that money I would have it now, I don't know a lot about the 69/70 transition period so thought better of jumping in