best amp sims

iv eventually got a mac after a few years of thinking about it....im looking for good guitar amp sims for it ..does anybody have any advice on what to look at
thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Free or paid?
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    bias fx, is the best I've had on the ipad,  jam up pro and tonestack are pretty good too. Don't know if they do a version for mac, but I would presume they do.

Scuffham s gear is supposed to be great but I haven't tried it yet.

all pretty subjective really , what sounds good to me may sound terrible to anyone else, in fact, if the feedback I get from my wife about how I sound is anything to go by, you would probably do well to ignore my advice :)

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    joeyowen;758333" said:
    Free or paid?
    free would be preferable..lol... but i dont mind
    paying for something decent
    kin;758513" said:
    bias fx, is the best I've had on the ipad,  jam up pro and tonestack are pretty good too. Don't know if they do a version for mac, but I would presume they do. Scuffham s gear is supposed to be great but I haven't tried it yet.

all pretty subjective really , what sounds good to me may sound terrible to anyone else, in fact, if the feedback I get from my wife about how I sound is anything to go by, you would probably do well to ignore my advice :)
    thanks ill check them out ...:)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I've tried loads of them (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, BIAS, Revalver etc etc), and honestly...the best I've found is just getting a dummy load for my amp (£50 for a 50W dummy load from RAT Amplification), running it into my interface and applying cab impulses in my DAW. That way, I get to use my normal pedalboard too.
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream;758525" said:
    I've tried loads of them (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, BIAS, Revalver etc etc), and honestly...the best I've found is just getting a dummy load for my amp (£50 for a 50W dummy load from RAT Amplification), running it into my interface and applying cab impulses in my DAW. That way, I get to use my normal pedalboard too.
    ahh...thats interesting cos i have some decent amps it was just the volume issue though..im not sure what a dummy load is ..i will have to check them out ..thanks
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Barney said:
    digitalscream;758525" said:
    ahh...thats interesting cos i have some decent amps it was just the volume issue though..im not sure what a dummy load is ..i will have to check them out ..thanks
    A dummy load essentially takes the speaker output from your amp and puts out a line-level signal for your interface. Think of it as an attenuator which has only one output level - nearly nothing :)
    <space for hire>
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    @digitalscream Any recommendations for. An impulses to use as you suggest with the load box?
  • @MikeB - I'm a big fan of the Red Wirez free impulse pack. I can get just about any sound I want from those impulses, mainly by blending a couple of them (usually the C414 and SM57 impulses) to taste using NadIR as the impulse loader.
    <space for hire>
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    @digitalscream thanks for that bud. Will take a look at those packages. Got a good sound from my current rig and have never been happy with what I got from Bias so this sounds like a different plan to try out!

I had a Rat amp a few years back so know his stuff will be good.
    MikeB;778732" said:
    @digitalscream thanks for that bud. Will take a look at those packages. Got a good sound from my current rig and have never been happy with what I got from Bias so this sounds like a different plan to try out!

I had a Rat amp a few years back so know his stuff will be good.
    i just got a demo of bias fx desktop....im not really keen either ...i actually like the line 6 pod farm better unless im not using it as i should be ...

cab impulses iv never heard of ..must check them out......i think im living in the dark ages..!
  • Scuffham S-Gear beats everything else. Didn't like Amplitube, Bias likewise. Guitar Rig is shit for realistic emulations but great for experimental sounds. 

Now I just play with pedals into the DAW and use Torpedo Wall of Sound to get some amp flavour. Suits me fine. 

• I enjoy using Guitar Rig with Control board and found it superb for getting a track down, now yep it aint perfect and valve is best but sometimes it is great to get it down.

That said my next purchase may well be axe II or a mark v.