Recording bass/guitar to click in time, when I play back, slightly behind the click...

What's Hot
As the title suggests, I'm confused.

I noticed when I play back a recording (bass guitar), it's slightly behind the click. So, I tried a few different things, playing to just a click, a slow click etc, and still on playback, it's slightly behind the click. (Latency perhaps?)

I'm using a focusrite 2i2 into a Windows machine.

I've tried recording bass straight into the interface, using a mic in front of an amp, focusrite monitor on, focusrite monitor off, 48v button on, 48v button off etc.

For whatever reason, what's recorded isn't bang on the click.

I used a slow click on it's own as a test and same result...

It's definitely not me! It's as if there's a lag between the signal going in and it being recorded.

Could it just be that I am using a rubbish laptop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited August 2015
    Could be latency. Set up a metronome going, play along to that (as your click) and record both metronome and your bass. That should prove that you are playing on the click. So then it has to be latency.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, it's latency and your DAW isn't properly compensating for it. You can confirm it by setting up a mic on your monitors (watch out for feedback!) and actually recording the metronome click onto an audio track, then seeing if the recorded click is in time with the DAW's click on playback. This'll also help you work out how far out the latency is. Most DAWs have an option to manually adjust the latency compensation, in the event that you can't solve the problem with drivers/ settings otherwise.

I found it a real problem with latency that changed from session to session on my laptop 10 years ago. I think laptop motherboards have more limited/ restricted paths for data to flow which can make it harder to get consistent latency.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited August 2015
    I'm using Reaper at the moment, so will have a look at the settings etc, and the laptop settings. It's very annoying, especially when you want a bass riff to sit right on an imported electronic loop.

I'm due to get myself a new machine anyhow, so might have to raid the coffers for a Macbook.. \m/

Maybe if I turned off all plugins and effects, it might help...
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    If the delay is consistently the same throughout the entire recording, as a short term fix you could just nudge the entire recorded part forward by the necessary amount to get it to line up with the click.
  • True, I'll have a look at the settings first. I noticed even when I recorded with the isolated guitar track, a slight delay. Harruuumnppph :(
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Before you rush out and splash on a mac be aware that the lower end of the Focusrite range of AIs are not noted for low latency* or brilliant drivers.

One of the best AIs, bay a big margin sub £200 for very low latency, super solid drivers and all round goodliness is the Native Instruments KA6.

*Maybe why they did not fit MIDI ports on the 2i2? They knew it was too slow and "synth" people would have been seriously pissed off.

But see how low you can set the buffers and kill onboard sounds and any wireless apps.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    ecc83 said:

One of the best AIs, bay a big margin sub £200 for very low latency, super solid drivers and all round goodliness is the Native Instruments KA6.

Just got one. Following similar recommendation in here (poss from you too Dave). Prior to this I was using  POD HD as my interface and sound module and was running into all sorts of glitches in playback and latency.

The NI 6 sorted all that, though I have enabled hardware buffering as well. Zero latency, zero audio drop out. Sounds great too, good solid bit of kit.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26665
    <space for hire>
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the replies, and for that link. I had a fiddle around with the driver settings, and switched to the ASIO driver instead of the default one that was coming up, and turned off the plugins while recording.

If I looked really closely, there could probably still be a bit of latency going on, but it's an improvement on yesterday's performance anyways!

I do notice when I have used a synth plugin, it's a disaster. I have to move stuff around afterwards.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    Yeah it's asio buffers for sure, set the input buffers as low as they'll go, there'll be audible popping and stuttering, then raise the buffer until the popping stops.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers guys. So far so good!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Does reaper have a " render to audio" function or similar?

It should allow you to print the synth track and so not use any cpu or very little anyway? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Yeah it does . I've done that. Mixed it down and loaded it again as an audio file
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    So err....when do we get to hear said piece..?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Aha, yes, politeness should mean I should share it with you. Give me a few days or so and I'll report back. Feedback positive and negative will be very welcome!
  • Ive never thought to check if my interface was reporting the wrong latency. Ive never noticed any problems but I might have a little look tonight.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ