External iPhone Mic?

Hi folks.

Has anyone tried using an external mic with their iPhone? I am only a beginner, but have found that videoing myself playing every now and again is pretty useful with helping me learn. The thing is though, the mic on my iPhone 6 Plus is pretty crap and the sound quality is really tinny and distant compared to what I hear in the room. My laptop is worse than the phone, so I've pretty much written off using that instead.

Has anyone tried out an external mic on an iPhone? How did it work out? I'm not looking to spend too much on this but anything must surely be better than using the built-in mic on the phone.

Cheers.

Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Depends on your budget. At the cheaper end are irig mic's and a bit more expensive are apogee. The apogee mic's are great and you might be lucky and pick one up second hand.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Ok, thanks that's helpful.

I'll go and check these out. Not looking to spend too much to be honest but it's good to know what works and I can see how much they are going for.

Cheers.

:)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    Tascam make one (and there's a free app that will work with the internal mic as well), and Rode have an X-Y stereo thing as well.

I've found the iPhone mic pretty useful myself.