Unsung guitarists #3456 & 3457 - the Kadane brothers

ewalewal Frets: 2622
edited August 2015 in Music
I've recently found myself raving about the work of Matt and Bubba Kadane of Bedhead, The New Year and Overseas. Nothing they do is very complicated, but their parts always absolutely fit the song, and are always inventive while having a very familiar feel to them at the same time.

Of course, I've yet to find anyone in my circle of friends who shares my enthusiasm for these guys... Surely there must be someone out there in guitar forum land with a Kadane soft spot?

Here's a good example of their work:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I adore Bedhead, and totally endorse your praise of the Kadanes.  I think they peaked for me around the time of the Transaction De Novo LP, which would be in with a good shout as a Desert Island choice for me.  Simple, interlocking parts that build and flow beautifully, nothing showy, always taking the song somewhere.  Here's my favourite...

@ewal If this kind of stuff is your bag, and you haven't heard it already, you need a copy of The White Birch by Codeine.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    From what I've heard there, they remind of Calla.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2622
    edited August 2015

@ewal If this kind of stuff is your bag, and you haven't heard it already, you need a copy of The White Birch by Codeine.
    Yep - big Codeine fan too. Have you listened to the Overseas stuff? I was pleasantly surprised.

ETA: Codeine and Bedhead are two of probably about ten bands that I've got the vinyl in the attic from the first time round, that I've felt the need to re-acquire digitally...
  • ewalewal Frets: 2622
    Oh and I've not heard Calla - I'll check them out.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited August 2015
    ewal said:

Yep - big Codeine fan too. Have you listened to the Overseas stuff? I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I streamed some Overseas stuff a while back, and was pretty impressed with it.

The whole Slint/Lousiville/Chicago scene and all the slowcore stuff pretty much saved me through those long, awful Britpop years after Grunge.  There's loads of less-known bands that came out of that scene that are absolutely ripe for rediscovery...Ativin, Paul Newman, A Minor Forest...real interesting stuff.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    ewal said:
    Oh and I've not heard Calla - I'll check them out.

Still one of my favourite ever riffs.