Focusrite input gain clipping

I've got a Focusrite iTrack that I'm just starting to use with my laptop into Ableton instead of my iPad, and with humbuckers I cannot get the input to stop clipping eve with the pot set to zero. I've also got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in a different room that I don't remember this happening with.

The iPad was fine, because the chain was

Guitar ->Pedal board -> Blackstar HT5 emulated out ->Focusrite iTrack -> iPad

and I was able to use the amp volume control to get it low enough not to clip. I wanted to try out some of the amp models though, so I went straight in to the iTrack

Guitar - > iTrack -> Ableton

It's got nothing to do with the laptop, I don't think, because it's clipping at the interface. Is there any way to lower the signal? I've been thinking about putting a compressor or eq in front of it maybe? I have both on my board already. I've also got a passive volume attenuator pedal, but I was going to return it because the pot's really not very good. It's just sat in a cupboard at the moment, maybe it'd be perfect for this?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Surprised your 2i2 doesn't clip, my 2i4 has very little headroom even with the pad engaged.

You could get a DI box with pad, you need to lower the signal before the interface.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'll try that Leach pedal then and see if that works.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited August 2015
    I'm wondering if it's to do with the input impedence? I can find no input impedence specs noted for the 'instrument' input (it is this one, yes?).

You could try plugging in via any non-true bypass pedal (doesn't need to be on - just a buffered signal) and see if that is any better.

The passive attenuator will load your pickups (just like a passive volume pedal) and you may notice it dulling the tone somewhat.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

When! Will they learn?

Yes, the 2i2 had very low headroom and Frite improved it on later models but it it still not that generous. It is true that other AI makers have fallen into the inout clipping trap but Focusrite seem to have gained the wooden spoon for it!

I am convinced it is due to MARKETING bods interfering with the technical guys. The scenario I envisage is a Mktng bod is given a pre prod' unit for trial and he plugs in a really wimpy Strat and finds he has to crank the gain to max to get even neg 20dBFS. Not being technical he assumes the design is gain shy and insists the Instr input gain be raised thus forking headroom.

The fact is of course -20dBFS is PLENTY of level, even at 16bits because passive guitars are noisy fekkers anyway.

The fix? Quick and dirty, a 1meg pot in a tin (CLOSE, within a mtr) afore the instrument input, which, BTW has an input Z of 500k. Does not matter a lot but since it is just as easy to make it the "standard" One Meg why not?

Yes, you could go for a passive DI box (an active one will still clip the AI in all probb) but that would change the guitar's tone a wee bit and why should you go to such extra expense when the fault is poor design based on "fashion" IMHO?

Dave.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    That's everyone. I've connected the leach pedal in line now and I can get the signal low enough to avoid clipping without changing the tone too much.

I also lowered the bridge pup a little bit. I was going to do it anyway because I'm a bit heavy handed and I had a tendency to push the strings into the polepieces when muting.