Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why the 'anti bling' bias guys

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5110
especially when it comes to PRS guitars.  Too much bling!  I would only buy one in a full colour or whatever.  And speaking of PRS, why are they referred to as dentists' guitars.  Neither of the two dentists that I know play guitar.  Just wondering...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Some people forget that pretty guitars can also sound great; yet you don't see much of the same banter aimed at fancy Custom Shop Gibsons, or at simpler PRS Standards etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
    The dentist thing is traditional, but I'm just not a fan of shiny, blingy finishes. I just want to see really nice quality wood (fnar).
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It would seem to some that if a guitar that isn't Gibson or Fender is really well made and finished, with a nicely figured top etc. it is unacceptable. I think that the 'dentist' thing also applies if it is expensive.

I find it odd that Gibson and Fender Custom Shop instruments of similar value, and quality/care of finish aren't referred to like this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    What's with the anti-science?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    I can't make my mind up on "bling" guitars, some I love and some I just can't appreciate. I have no issue with brands in general that make aesthetically beautiful instruments I m more selective when it comes to colour. For example I can't stand purple guitars as I just don't think I can see myself pulling off the look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited August 2015
    Great flames in a Gibson = awesome
    Great flames in a PRS = yeah whatever

A dent in a Gibson = Character, I'll pay more for that
    A dent in a PRS = That's another £500 off please

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 888
    Rocker said:
    especially when it comes to PRS guitars.  Too much bling!  I would only buy one in a full colour or whatever.  And speaking of PRS, why are they referred to as dentists' guitars.  Neither of the two dentists that I know play guitar.  Just wondering...

People have different tastes , simple as that .

Personally I don't like any guitar that has gold hardware but I don't bitch about those that have it .  

I presumed the "Dentist" thing was a comment on the price range , which as already pointed out is quite hypocritical if you have a Fender custom shop guitar .

I have both and I'm not a fucking dentist , I've just saved my money and bought good guitars .

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    Yeah I agree with you. I don't want abalone binding all over the thing, but a nice figured top or whatever is nice, IMO.

I guess you could ask the anti-bling guys to do a blind test between a blingy and non-blingy guitar to see if they're full of it or not.

Oh right. >:D<
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    It's personal taste, like most decoration.

But, I don't think Fender custom-shop do anything that is as bling as a blinged PRS, much more 'workmanlike'.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    It's just banter dude.

I'm pretty sure that @gassage will be along soon with some really old dentist guitar clichés ;) 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited August 2015
    I like the shades of colour more than I like figured tops. I have more of a problem with OTT inlays really, because they're not very 'me'
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    On a serious note I was always planning on buying a Gibson LP over a PRS because of the history etc. recent events have made even Private Stock PRS look like value. I used to overlook the quality thing for the mojo but now, not so much. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I've had an emotional day.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Tacky
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    For me the humour in all this is PRS is still trying to produce the best guitar he can where as Fender and Gibson are trying to make the best guitar they used to. 

The whole PRS thing was pretty much based on the envy of people who could not afford them back in the day they were dearer but better made than Gibson and Fender. Perhaps not always bought buy hard working musicians but bought by people who could afford to go out and buy the best to learn on rather than a 2nd hand squire.

It is what it is

Ha Ha  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Adam_MD said:
    blueskunk;762024" said:
    Tacky
    Tacky

Totally.

Who'd put a cream switch tip on that?

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    For me the humour in all this is PRS is still trying to produce the best guitar he can where as Fender and Gibson are trying to make the best guitar they used to. 

It is what it is

Ha Ha  

To be fair, Fender got it right from day one :)

Pauls still looking for "his" Tele 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Adam_MD said:
    Lost at sea by the look of the barnacle growth.