Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why the 'anti bling' bias guys

What's Hot

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    I like gold hardware over chrome, but prefer chrome over nickel 'cause nickel soon looks pants, old & dull. New guitars are best bought without scratches and dents unless a discount can be agreed. I don't care if new guitars get beat up in use, it's not antique furniture (to me).
    The sound of a guitar combined with its playability is the most important. I'd also stick my neck out (cough cough!) and say above 2.5k
    you've been had, especially with those  6 or 7k gibbo signiture models. IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32376
    It's just tradition. Gold paint and binding on a 1952 Les Paul is undeniably "bling", as is gold hardware on a Custom, but neither is seen as uncool.

It actually has nothing really to do with bling itself. Perfect, 10-top PRS guitars are not cool and never will be, but a battered White Falcon most definitely is.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Bling for me is flame maple or exotic woods on the body, it is a lot of abolone be it birds or binding... bling is gold hardware or a fancy custom paint job.

I used to be a bit put off PRS but then they released the Mira, Starla and later the S2 line which are closer to what i like in a guitar in terms of looks :) 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7514
    frankus said:

That game was awesome, I always went for the little green dwarf.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • p90fool;762474" said:
    It's just tradition. Gold paint and binding on a 1952 Les Paul is undeniably "bling", as is gold hardware on a Custom, but neither is seen as uncool.

It actually has nothing really to do with bling itself. Perfect, 10-top PRS guitars are not cool and never will be, but a battered White Falcon most definitely is.
    This is it.

I like prs guitars a lot, and esp guitars. I'd go as far as to say they're among the best guitars you can buy.

But a strat, even a minty one, is just... Cooler.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Depends who's playing the guitar. Dave Navarro looks cooler with a PRS than Leslie West did with a 59 junior...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Evilmags said:
    Depends who's playing the guitar. Dave Navarro looks cooler with a PRS than Leslie West did with a 59 junior…
    But Leslie West sounded better...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    ICBM;762609" said:
    Evilmags said:

Depends who's playing the guitar. Dave Navarro looks cooler with a PRS than Leslie West did with a 59 junior…

Sadly I can only award one wisdom for that...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    It's not bias, it's taste. Blue quilted maple with gold hardware is hideous. PRS invented the vomit burst.
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I am just as happy with a bling prs or my battered 77 mustang, sound is what I like, but I also love wood, so hugely appreciate quilt and flame tops, I don't care what people play as long as they don't go around trying to make their points on berating bling fact.... Which happens a lot on here,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Although PRS do some really nice tops and garish tops, it's those bloody birds that ruin it all for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2015
    I suspect it may not be true (the PRS jibe)
    Why would a denist not be buying Fender Masterbuilt or Gibson cc?

I suppose that I am a Gibson fanboy. But in all honesty how could i ridicule someone who buys several private stock PRS guitars but not ridicule the guy who has 5 or 6 cc Les Pauls.....and just keeps them pristine in the case. Maybe it is best for me to not ridicule either of them and just let people do what they want.
    I am in a strange mood today.
    :-S

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7346
    Neil said:
    Although PRS do some really nice tops and garish tops, it's those bloody birds that ruin it all for me.
    Ditto

Fucking seagulls on a fretboard...

Why???
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Neil said:
    Me too, although you can at least get almost all the models (the ones you would want if you're not into flashy guitars anyway) without them - the other option is moons, which are really nice. The lower-range models have dots.

I've owned five PRSs and never one with birds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Bling is even more wrong on acoustics - my mate has one of these, all kinds of wrong! 

imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 294
    Evilmags said:
    Depends who's playing the guitar. Dave Navarro looks cooler with a PRS than Leslie West did with a 59 junior...

Yeah Leslie must be gutted that he was never able to match the colour of his eye make-up to his guitar's finish
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Gagaryn said:
    Bling is even more wrong on acoustics - my mate has one of these, all kinds of wrong! 

imageimage

That's nothing....the fretboard is bare for a start, there's no bling on the bridge, the bridge pins looks plain and the binding is just plastic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    ICBM said:
    Evilmags said:
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/642/666/a1a.jpg
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    ICBM said:
    I think you definitely need to blind test it.

;)

Personally I dislike pretty much all blingy things, guitars are no exception. It's not to to with brands or anything.

But whatever you want to play is fine.
    How come you got two LOLs for repeating what I said on the first page, and I only got one?

Grrr. :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom