Is this illegal activity?

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
https://m.facebook.com/groups/139267039498920#!/photo.php?fbid=10151787620493042&id=566753041&set=gm.538699996222287&source=48&__user=616155748

This Epiphone Les Paul with Gibson decal. The seller is really honest about it but some believe it to be illegal to sell. I really don't see what the issue is if he's been honest. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Technically it's illegal, but only in the sense that it's illegal to cross out "Squier" with a marker pen and scribble "Fender" next to it on a strat headstock.

But it's irrelevant because of the way the law is enforced. Technically he's made and he's selling a counterfeit Gibson but since he's not trying to pass it off as a real Gibson there is no intent to defraud. Also he's violating Gibson's copyright, but copyright has to be asserted by the holder and Gibson are unlikely to sue him.

On the whole in this instance you'd have to be a picky little wanker to complain about what he's doing. He's being honest about what it is, which is reasonable behaviour.

That doesn't change the fact that whoever buys it is an idiot.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3307
    Yoink! Great answer. 

Can I post that as a reply? 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    It is illegal to post a counterfeit item in the UK. The fact that's it's been rebadged makes no difference.its also illegal to knowingly receive a counterfeit item through the post.
  • My mate got an epiphone Explorer with a Gibson sticker on the headstock.

Probably one of the best guitars I've ever played, slaughters every Gibson Explorer I've played for sure. The seller was open and said he would happily remove the sticker. My mate left it on because he likes fooling people. They play it and are convinced it's a Gibson.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10068
    This seller might be honest. Doesn't follow that if the buyer decides to move it on that they will be just as honest.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Over the years a few people have asked me to do things like putting Fender logos on Tokai or Squier necks. They always say "it's OK, it's just for me and I would never sell it as anything other than a copy" - but when I say "that's fine, but just to be on the safe side since you can't tell what the next owner will try to do, I'm going to brand the word 'Tokai' or 'Squier' into the underside of the neck heel where you can't see it, but it will catch out anyone trying to sell it as an old Fender"… it's surprising how many of them lose interest in having the decal done.

Hmmmm…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Over the years a few people have asked me to do things like putting Fender logos on Tokai or Squier necks. 
    If I were Tokai, I would be horrified to think that my guitars were being downgraded to the level of Gibson!  :))
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Contents gone from Fb but my guitar box has a Gibson sticker on it along with onefor shure fender tokai snarling dogs D'Addario AER Marshall ect just wonder which company I should claim made it when I want to sell it?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ICBM said:
    Over the years a few people have asked me to do things like putting Fender logos on Tokai or Squier necks. They always say "it's OK, it's just for me and I would never sell it as anything other than a copy" - but when I say "that's fine, but just to be on the safe side since you can't tell what the next owner will try to do, I'm going to brand the word 'Tokai' or 'Squier' into the underside of the neck heel where you can't see it, but it will catch out anyone trying to sell it as an old Fender"… it's surprising how many of them lose interest in having the decal done.

Hmmmm…
    :))

I know I like Tokais etc., but personally I want them to say "Tokai" on them. I'm certainly not buying them pretending they're the "real thing", if I buy them I think they're better than the "real thing" (at least the equivalent "real thing" at the same price point).
  • WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited November 2013
    To be honest, it makes the owner look like a bit of wannabe. You can't afford a real one so you stick a badge on it.

The only exception I would permit be a true vintage replica of a famous guitar down to the last scratch....

• WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
    edited November 2013
    Playing a lookalike 'badged' guitar makes you look like a bit of a prick to be honest.

It's like telling everyone you own a Ferrari and turning up in this.......

• RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum