Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemper?

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControl;77692" said:
    btw Tone World recommend this, http://www.toneworld.co.uk/amplifiers-c11/heads-c12/dv-mark-multiamp-2-1-rack-mountable-preamp-effects-processor-p1315they are very picky, so I'd try to evaluate this too, they don't big up stuff that's not as good as they say, and have given me quite frank opinions about some stuff they do sell, I think they are sticking with the Coda-type reputation the guys cultivated at Sounds GreatRemember, they don't stock the Kemper I think, but if you call them I bet you'd get a decent opinion on the merits
    I was speaking to Jamie Humphries on FB only last month about the Kemper and he actually favoured the DV multiamp. Says he actually owns one and prefers to the Kemper and Axe FX.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • btw Tone World recommend this,

http://www.toneworld.co.uk/amplifiers-c11/heads-c12/dv-mark-multiamp-2-1-rack-mountable-preamp-effects-processor-p1315

they are very picky, so I'd try to evaluate this too, they don't big up stuff that's not as good as they say, and have given me quite frank opinions about some stuff they do sell, I think they are sticking with the Coda-type reputation the guys cultivated at Sounds Great

Remember, they don't stock the Kemper I think, but if you call them I bet you'd get a decent opinion on the merits

Interesting...never heard of the DV Mark modeller. Will have to look into that...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingben said:
    Fear Factory are too, heard good reports there.
    Fear factory havent sounded good since the 90s. I had the misfortune of enduring them on the last devin townsend tour.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just bought a kemper! Problems getting them ATM tho. Andertons said they are being very.. Brief in when kemper said they will send them out!

But should be late December/early Jan if buying now!

Messed about with one a few weeks ago and it's fantastic. I didn't like the axe too much, I don't use effects apart from reverb/delay and an OD. So was pretty much wasted on me! Kemper is useful as I set up an amp (framus or engl ATM) and just make it sound good, then copy it! It's great, I love recording so it's more ideal.

As above a library function will be neat when they release it and then that's the main gripes with it :)

Get one used, sell it for no loss if it's not your sort of thing :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    I've just bought a kemper! Problems getting them ATM tho. Andertons said they are being very.. Brief in when kemper said they will send them out!

But should be late December/early Jan if buying now!

Messed about with one a few weeks ago and it's fantastic. I didn't like the axe too much, I don't use effects apart from reverb/delay and an OD. So was pretty much wasted on me! Kemper is useful as I set up an amp (framus or engl ATM) and just make it sound good, then copy it! It's great, I love recording so it's more ideal.

As above a library function will be neat when they release it and then that's the main gripes with it :)

Get one used, sell it for no loss if it's not your sort of thing :)

The OP doesn't want an AxeFx, but just to reflect on your decision for any other reader's benefit: I only play with delay 90% of the time when using an amp, but the AxeFx2 works great for me. Very good IR, delays and reverbs in there, the FX are always there for when I need them, which is nice. The multiband compressor is also very useful. I use it for my basses and acoustic too.

That's not to say I won't buy a Kemper one day.

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 845
    edited November 2013
    'The OP doesn't want an AxeFx' I just think that all the post regarding Axe-fx sound so complex new firmware every so often and so much tweaking to get it to sound how you want it etc etc! I would only want something you can plug in and play and it sounds consistent every gig-sounds like I need an amp really doesn't it!
  • 'The OP doesn't want an AxeFx' I just think that all the post regarding Axe-fx sound so complex new firmware every so often and so much tweaking to get it to sound how you want it etc etc! I would only want something you can plug in and play and it sounds consistent every gig-sounds like I need an amp really doesn't it!

Stick to what you got mate you aint gonna beat it! Btw im now rockin a 50 watter too as well as the biggie!
    No modeller is gonna beat an evh, i have got a hardon for a friedman brown eye tho!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I like the sound of the browneye too!
  • pink taco looks good too!
  • Yeah recon it'll be loud enough?
  • 20 watts of friedman then yes it will be!

all billy duffys fault i have a want for a brown eye!
  • Yeah mate I went to see The Cult in Southampton last month-great tone mate!
  • The brown eye, and the hairy brown eye, have been two of my "go to" amps on the Axe-FX II.  To me they are the sound I imagine Marshall to have. but don't.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    leerocker said:
    'The OP doesn't want an AxeFx' I just think that all the post regarding Axe-fx sound so complex new firmware every so often and so much tweaking to get it to sound how you want it etc etc! I would only want something you can plug in and play and it sounds consistent every gig-sounds like I need an amp really doesn't it!

Stick to what you got mate you aint gonna beat it! Btw im now rockin a 50 watter too as well as the biggie!
    No modeller is gonna beat an evh, i have got a hardon for a friedman brown eye tho!

If your sound is just what you want with the amp(s) you can transport, that's the thing to do. Personally I think for anyone needing to travel a lot with gear, it's worth assessing what the new technology can offer, but it's not for everyone (yet)

The AF2, Kemper, DV Mark, etc are all still evolving, some send firmware/software updates out every 2 months, so the options are:

1. Don't use modellers, stick with tried and tested amps/fx
    2. Wait until the dust settles in 2-3 years
    3. Get a modeller, and only take the updates once a year, setup your presets as you would a multi-fx when you buy it, then once a year, then just use the presets.
    4. Get a modeller, setup your presets as you would a multi-fx when you buy it, then take every bit of firmware update as it arrives and dedicate the time to reworking your patches.
    5. Get a modeller, setup your presets as you would a multi-fx when you buy it, then take every bit of firmware update as it arrives and get really pissed off that your patches sound wrong

A lot of people on the Fractal forums do (4)

Then there's a load of other people on there doing (5) when they should be doing (3). The reality is, if your patches are good enough for pro work in January, they will be 2 years later as well, there's no real need to ever update the firmware or continually tweak patches, it's optional.

Most people should do (3). The pros/cons of modellers are well-explored. For me pros are: flexibility - many amps in one box, all-in-one amps/fx, and less back-problems. Cons are: doesn't please me quite as much as my favourite big heavy amps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wise words TC!
  • Wise and enlightening too  (for me at least)  Thanks TC   :)

• ROOGROOG Frets: 562

You've got me thinking about this stuff now.

Presumably the Kemper is designed to work through flat response amps and speakers?

That would mean me buying studio/PA type kit, that's going to be quite a hit.   

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Has anyone tried getting a good quality active powered monitor speaker?  On small gigs you could put it upright and use like a conventional amp with the Kemper as a head on top.  On big gigs you could send you signal to the PA, and use it as a monitor.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    crunchman said:
    Has anyone tried getting a good quality active powered monitor speaker?  On small gigs you could put it upright and use like a conventional amp with the Kemper as a head on top.  On big gigs you could send you signal to the PA, and use it as a monitor.

/\ This seems to be what is being said on the Kemper forum.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Using a modeller for my cleans right now, and my EVH for crunch + high gain. I'm VERY happy! Probably the happiest I've been with my tone and live rig for ages! I thought I was done when I got the JVM, but this is a whole new world and I am Jasmine.