NOMD

I've just picked this up. It's an octave mandola, which I currently have tuned GDAE. It's a purchase inspired in part by being at a folk music festival recently. I've got to say, it's great fun. It needed (and still needs) a bit of fettling to get it anything like playable but now sounds really sweet. I was originally going to buy a mandocello but wanted something a bit smaller to chuck in the back of the car along with my guitar for impromptu jams etc. Just need to learn to play it well enough now. :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    edited September 2015
    Looks cool, but I can't say I've ever heard of one, let alone actually heard one! How does it compare to a standard mandolin?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    I haven't ever played a mandolin but this is tuned the same - GDAE but an octave lower with a longer scale length of about 20 inches. I think the mandolin line goes something like - mandolin >> mandola >> octave mandola >> mandocello. It definitely has that mandolin sound to it though.

I'm quite enjoying it but it is kind of odd to play. It's a little tricky playing and trying to rest it on your knee without it slipping.

I may be hooked :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't know about yours but ordinary mandolins are almost impossible to play unless they're on a strap either sitting or standing.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    I think the longer length over a mandolin probably helps but it would definitely be easier with a strap. I've just ordered one. This thing is really addictive to play... I'd highly recommend :D