Jools Holland and his R&B orchestra

What's Hot
ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
My brother in law had tickets to see Jools live Sunday night but was ultimately unable to attend so offered me his tickets.

You don't need me to tell you, but it was a great show and he allowed each band member a moment to shine as well as having a selection of vocalists. Mel C was the special guest, great stage presence and looked comfortable being the star, but vocally Louise Marshall & Ruby Turner wiped the floor with her imho.
Gilson Lavis was the consummate drummer, Mark Flannagan did some nice guitar and then kept out af the way as applicable.

The mix was very good (personal taste aside) and the vibe of everyone on stage having a good time spilt into the audience. 

If you get the chance etc.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jools has a great orchestra and you're right about Ruby Turner ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Is Mark Flannagan the guy with the blonde 335 and a Bluesbreaker? if so, I too have that gear AND I WANT HIS JOB!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12526
    Saw him once but with Sam Brown on vocals. Not really my cuppa tbh but it was all very slickly done and yes, he certainly has some excellent performers in the band.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Im really not surprised they wiped the floor with Mel C. I can believe they were miles better.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    edited November 2013
    Is Mark Flannagan the guy with the blonde 335 and a Bluesbreaker? if so, I too have that gear AND I WANT HIS JOB!
    That's him, he lives in Suffolk too I believe. Not sure about the stage lighting but the 335 looked to have dark sides and square fret markers so it might have been stripped at some time. 

A suitable piccygraph (not from Sundays gig, I was in a box at the back)

He had what looked like a blonde fender amp (didn't sound like it though) on stage Sunday.

Oh and you need to go to Edinburgh to get that job, the audition is in London but the queue starts about there I'm told!
  • I'd go and see him but I'd worry he might start interviewing somebody mid set and there wouldn't be anywhere to hide.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I don't think I could take 2hours of boogie woogie piano.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I don't think I could take 2hours of boogie woogie piano.

Don't think I could take 2 minutes of Mel C. 

Sam Brown would certainly be my preference. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614

I don't think I could take 2hours of boogie woogie piano.

When Sam brown did that 'STOP' video, she could have had led me away and I wouldn't have been able to stop her. That beautiful gravel like husky voice and blond hair. 

Not that she'd look at the likes of me twice you understand.
  • We understand. :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    ESBlonde said:

I don't think I could take 2hours of boogie woogie piano.

When Sam brown did that 'STOP' video, she could have had led me away and I wouldn't have been able to stop her. That beautiful gravel like husky voice and blond hair. 

Not that she'd look at the likes of me twice you understand.
    I concur profusely! I felt the same about Kim Wild when i first saw her singing Kids in America albeit without a husky voice. Also she wouldnt look at the likes of me twice, even if i had a roman candle firing out of my bum while singin "Theres no buisness like show buisness""  :-O
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I saw him at the royal Albert hall , and it was a good gig, but I preferred it when he did a few songs with just himself, drums, bass and guitar, it was really good.
    With the whole band and orchestra their was a bit too much going on for me and the wife.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    ESBlonde said:
    My brother in law had tickets to see Jools live Sunday night but was ultimately unable to attend so offered me his tickets.

You don't need me to tell you, but it was a great show and he allowed each band member a moment to shine as well as having a selection of vocalists. Mel C was the special guest, great stage presence and looked comfortable being the star, but vocally Louise Marshall & Ruby Turner wiped the floor with her imho.
    Gilson Lavis was the consummate drummer, Mark Flannagan did some nice guitar and then kept out af the way as applicable.

The mix was very good (personal taste aside) and the vibe of everyone on stage having a good time spilt into the audience. 

If you get the chance etc.....

Ah, really glad to hear this, ESB, as we've got tickets to see him/them at the Apollo in Manchester next month - they were a present for Our Maud's birthday.  

Very much looking forward to it!