SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS - Gibson Les Paul Special - SOLD Subject to final payment

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
edited September 2015 in Guitars £
I'm only selling this because another guitar has come along that I've wanted for years, and I have no other way of funding other than selling some stuff...

Gibson Les Paul Special - ex @TTony and ex @McToot and I believe it was a star of one of the early get together/meets, where all who played it agreed that this thing is a tone monster (jesus I hate that phrase, but it suits). I've gigged it extensively since, and it has picked up some buckle rash, some dents, some honest play wear (and a bit of dust). You'd pay loads for this if one of the boutique fellas had done their stuff with keys, sandpaper etc... It isn't the prettiest guitar but my god, does it sound good.
I have replaced the original pickups. There is now a wonderful set of Curtis Novak P90s on board which are balanced, chimey and gritty all in equal measures. They are pretty much straight copies of the 50s P90s and really are special. I don't have the original pickups any more.
The guitar will come in a Gibson gig bag - so I'm not going to post it/courier it etc, no matter what. I will agree to a meet up somewhere if necessary or you are most welcome to come to Daventry, Northants and play it through an amp before purchase.

The board has just been Lemon Oiled and cleaned, there's a fresh set of DAddarrio 10-46s fitted. Oh and it has a set of Dunlop strap locks fitted.

I REALLY didn't want to sell this, but my desire for the other guitar is greater... so the price is VERY keen. I'm not taking anything less than £400 for it and it *is* worth every penny. This is a very good guitar...

Pics:

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Do NOT tag me in FS threads ...

:D

I remember that guitar very well.  Light, resonant, tactile, great to play.  I've put together a GSPBasses based replica recently, so I now have something too similar to even think (thrice) about buying this back.

So, someone, grab it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have one exactly like this but with Lollars and at that price it is a giveaway. I sold a yellow one identical bar the colour for approaching £700 two months ago. Simply great guitar for the money

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

I drove that little guitar all the way up to the Oxford Services.  Great guitar and so glad it spent time with someone who would gig it    >:D<

Super price. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Always wanted an LP DC.  Lovely!
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    That is one nice looking guitar... If i was not looking for another then i would be highly tempted (well this and the thinline Jaguar in another post)... am hating that half my funds are dedicated towards a new heating system :(
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1339
    What year and what neck profile?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1336
    Hi any visible fretwear? And any dead spots /choking?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Year 2006. Neck profile - no idea. I think these are 'slim 60s' but couldn't say. It's slimmer than my 50s LP Studio or my 2004 SG Special.
    Fret wear - minor divots in cowboy chord areas, nothing of great note. No choking or dead spots.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Have to say I'm quite curious.  Got a guitar up on eBay this week will see how it does...
  • its a great little guitar and the pickups are awesome. 

you need your head looking at selling that for £400 mate. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    any chance of some pics of the first 3 frets ?thanks Mark
    Hi Mark,

Pics below... very hard to photograph with any sense as the divots aren't very big at all. I'm just trying to paint the worst picture of it... :-)

And some more general pictures for those who have asked - plus a public reply to a private message... this is a thin-skin faded guitar, and as such picks up dinks, marks and wear really easily. Yes there are dinks, marks and wear on this guitar all over it - because I have gigged it extensively for the past two years (at least once a week) with an energetic Punk, Ska and New Wave Band. No, it has not been 'abused' and I used to carry it to gigs in a hardcase (not included as its the case for my Les Paul). Its a great, highly resonant instrument that needs to be played, not sat in a glass case... if you want a case queen, look elsewhere.

Right... time for the pictures...

Yes, I've worn the finish away on the edge where my arm catches it... 

If it helps anyone... I will be in South Wales in a couple of weeks (Abergavenny area) and Devon (Exmouth area) in October. I can easily put the guitar in the car but it will need to be paid for in advance (see reason for sale!!).

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very. Nice.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Yep... probably too cheap, but needs must when the devil drives, and all that...

• £400 seems to be a pretty fair price in today's market.

I had to let my singlecut Special go for £380, and that was after weeks of plugging away.

Although yours is from a 'better' year.

Anyway, good luck with the sale - I'm sure whoever bags it will be absolutely made up!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    SOLD subject to final payment. :-)

Hi 1st dibs if sale falls through