SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD! - 1980 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe/Standard Goldtop - £1350

What's Hot
woody_89woody_89 Frets: 123
edited September 2015 in Guitars £
Hi guys,

Regrettably up for sale is my 1980 Les Paul Goldtop, from one of my favourite periods of the Les Paul - the maple neck of the mid/late seventies, but with a one piece mahogany back, rather than the 'pancake' body that came before it. Originally a Deluxe model, it has been routed in the bridge position for a full Humbucker, whilst keeping the original Mini-Humbucker in the neck. 

It's currently sporting an old Seymour Duncan in the bridge position, which sounds great, especially for harder rock. I have an older Gibson pickup (498T I believe) that I'd be very happy to swap instead if the buyer doesn't want something so high output..

Other than the bridge pickup and a change to Grover tuners, it appears to be all original and in great shape, given that it's 35 years old. No buckle rash to speak of, just a little worming from jean rivets. The wear on the back of the fairly slim neck feels great, and is fast to play, but also extremely comfortable. It's certainly seen a few gigs, and the lacquer and plastics have aged to a lovely amber colour that the pictures don't really do justice to. 

Like all late seventies/early eighties Les Pauls, it has some weight to it, but this is nowhere near as heavy as some of the guitars from the same period that I've owned or played. It sounds great acoustically with a good amount of ring to it (also unlike many other Gibsons of this period..), and has great sustain. The original frets are in surprisingly good shape, given the wear to the back of the neck, and have got years of life left in them. The action is low, and it really does play effortlessly.

I'm after £1350 for a quick sale. Only selling as I have commissioned a custom made baritone guitar, which unfortunately won't pay for itself!

Based in Leeds/Huddersfield, but regularly travel up and down the country and am more than happy to meet up if possible.
Cheers!
Sam

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1142
    edited September 2015
    i like it, very Adrian Smith!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PM sent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I take it it's been routed for the humbucker?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Somebody buy this now! Or I will have to resort to petty crime to raise the coffers!!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    mrchi said:
    I'd say that's a cert unless Gibson produced an Adrian Smith signature model. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Midweek Bump!
    Brize said:
    mrchi said:
    I'd say that's a cert unless Gibson produced an Adrian Smith signature model. ;)
    @brize Ageed bud , but wanted to ensure the seller was going to explain the origin of the (quite Major) modification, which has not been mentioned in the original post :).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• mrchi said:
    Brize said:
    mrchi said:
    @brize Ageed bud , but wanted to ensure the seller was going to explain the origin of the (quite Major) modification, which has not been mentioned in the original post :).
    No problems with that @mrchi, but the rout is fully disclosed in the first paragraph :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Have to say this is one tasty looking piece of wood.  Look at those worn Grovers.
    edited September 2015
    NO issue here at all buddy, just needs a bit more info, how well its been done, and how does it look under the pickup surround? A beautiful guitar tho mist def!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair enough, it's definitely a better rout than many that I've seen, and is pretty tidy. Not as bad as one that I had a few years back that was definitely at a bit of a jaunty angle! Happy to take photos under the pickup if a prospective buyer is interested :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10414
    Love it.

If I had the cash spare that would be mine.

Great looking guitar @woody_89

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Love it.

If I had the cash spare that would be mine.

Great looking guitar @woody_89

It certainly is!

Guitar now Sold!