MIDI software advice sought.

What's Hot

Hi Guys.

A long time ago I used to program my own backing tracks using Cakewalk. I found the clicking notes onto the Piano roll method very intuitive and got some good results.

I'm wondering with advances in software, is there a similar package available now that will enable me to do the same thing, but with considerably better sounds than the general MIDI ones I was using in the past. Perhaps with the option of recording too (which I will get my head around later).

My Brother-in-law has shown me Reason and Ableton, both of which didn't seem to work as I've described above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Logic has a brilliant midi sequencer.

• Is it fairly easy to use too? I'd rather spend my time making music than watching tutorials if possible.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Is it fairly easy to use too? I'd rather spend my time making music than watching tutorials if possible.
    Hard to say.

Every piece of software has a learning curve.
    The more you can do with them, the more there is to learn.
    Logic's midi sequencing is one of the most flexible- so there is a lot of scope.
    I've always found it pretty logical (no pun intended)

After 20 odd years of doing this I've come to the conclusion that some people just aren't wired for thinking about music in this manner- if you are one of them then find another way to do it.

IMHO Ableton is easier to get up and running with than Logic, but Logic is more like a traditional sequencer because it is essentially the same as it was 20 years ago with more stuff added into it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Hi Dan, there are basically two sorts of recording software (aka DAW) it seems.

Ableton, Fruity loops and others are of what I call the "cut and shunt" variety.

Cakewalk/sonar is more "linear" like a multitrack tape machine with a mixer. Others of this stamp are Cubase, Reaper and Samplitude. (the latter has only recently become mac friendly) You can download 30day trials of almost all the popular DAWs (forgot Studio One, getting rather popular) .

Whichever you get you really must cater for a dozen or so hours of slog to get into them. Fortunately, once you have a good grasp of one, the others are somewhat similar in that they all do much the same things, just GET there differently.

Have you got a decent Audio Interface? If not do Google " NI KA6"

Dave.

• Thanks for all the advice and suggestions so far.
    It's more the creation of my own backing tracks I'm looking into at the moment. So whilst I'm probably going to want to record over them at some point in the future, It's not so much of an issue yet.
    I'm definitely not minded towards Ableton. I found I had to watch Ten minute tutorial to do each little bit. And then couldn't get into it in any detail to alter the work.
    Which is why I probably liked the way Cakewalk worked with the piano roll. I can open the whole piece up, move notes around, drag them longer or shorter. Just suited the way I work I suppose.
    I had heard of Sonar, but didn't realise it was the new Cakewalk. Does it work in a similar way with just more added in?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Yes, Sonar still has the piano roll MIDI entry/editing stuff, as well as multi-track audio recording, VSTs, etc.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    ecc83 said:

Ableton, Fruity loops and others are of what I call the "cut and shunt" variety.

Cakewalk/sonar is more "linear" like a multitrack tape machine with a mixer. Others of this stamp are Cubase, Reaper and Samplitude. (the latter has only recently become mac friendly) You can download 30day trials of almost all the popular DAWs (forgot Studio One, getting rather popular) .

Whichever you get you really must cater for a dozen or so hours of slog to get into them. Fortunately, once you have a good grasp of one, the others are somewhat similar in that they all do much the same things, just GET there differently.

Dave.

Just wondering why you would say " Forget Studio One,  getting popular " ? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Just wondering why you would say " Forget Studio One,  getting popular " ? 

He didn't. He said he forgot it. Is it any good?

I think I'll have to try Sonar as it's likely to be the most familiar. I'll have to see if our distinctly average laptop will run it, or whether I have to factor in a PC.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Shouldn't be long before I am seeking enlightenment again.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    oops !...speed reading error !

I like S1...I used Sonar before. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    oops !...speed reading error !

I like S1...I used Sonar before. 

I will check it out too. Thanks.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Ha! Yes my late entry of S1 was probably Freudian !

I tried the freebie a few weeks ago and it crashed my normally very stable Asus+6core 3G AMD machine. I really must give it another go!

Dave.