Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are the days gone...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    octatonic said:
    Not for me. I have an hour or so a day of listening to music in a room with no internet going, just focussed on the music. It is one of my favourite parts of my day.

I am with you bro.... What is this Internet thing that often gets mentioned?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Yeah, never just listen to music now. A thing of the past. 

I think I would if I lived alone, but my house is full of money sucking leeches Mrs A and 3 kids and grown up son.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I commute, so I bought a really good pair of headphones and love listening through to albums from start to finish. Playlists have their place, but nothing beats listening through to a well crafted album from start to finish as the artist intended. Alt J and Ben Howard of the more recent acts have been good for this :)
  • I would like to spend more time just sitting and listening than I do. It's great when I can manage it, but often I have to listen to things that click off at the end instead of LPs which require me to rescue the stylus every 20 min, because I don't wish to disturb the cat.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 752
    edited September 2015
    When I only had a few LP's, that's all I could listened to, so I knew every musical detail.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I used to buy a CD from the shop or from Amazon whatever, then when arrived would sit down with my headphones on staring at the booklet and random open spaces with the disc spinning on my CD player. It meant I got into the music much easier back then.

Then I got an mp3 player and the hassle of uploading it to my PC then loading it on to the iPod itself was a bit of an arse ache (considering I just wanted to sit down and listen without distractions straight away).

They're halcyon days now as I just rely on Spotify for music these days. Haven't listened to music on headphones for years. Quite sad really.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4335
    The only time I still only listen to music and do nothing else is when I'm in the bath (painting a lovely picture aren't I).

Problem is I only have a bluetooth speaker and my phone so the sound quality isn't great, but I do find it relaxing.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    .... when you would buy an album, rush home, put it in the CD player and just listen to it and do nothing else... maybe read the liner notes... ??

I remember I did this for the longest time but these days with so much to do music is always on while I'm doing something else (driving, on the computer at work or at home, that sort of thing). I rarely sit down and listen to it in isolation like I used to, like I would when watching a film. I remember I loved to do that.
    Those really were the days of sitting and enjoying a new CD and the liner notes - I'd even read the list of people they thanked!

For me the change to no longer doing that isn't anything to do with technology, it's just being a grown up and having 2 kids under 5. I'm sure I could find time, but I'd rather be having fun with the kids when I'm not at work. It's hard enough to make time to play the guitar and that time at least feels "productive".

If anything technology is my musical saviour, in that it lets me have decent quality music (remember the wow and flutter you got from old tape walkmans!!) around the house, in the garden, commuting to work, in the car etc. etc.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • .... when you would buy an album, rush home, put it in the CD player and just listen to it and do nothing else... maybe read the liner notes... ??
    I think my equivalent today would be

.... when you would buy an album on Amazon, have it delivered to your day job, when it arrives you rush home from work at the end of the day, put it in the CD player/on the turntable and just listen to it and do nothing else except read the liner notes...but make sure you feed the cat first or you won't get any peace while listening to it

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I used to love buying CDs and vinyl and playing them through end-to-end on the hi-fi, multiple times (I often found albums I didn't like on first listen were 'growers', albums that I liked straight off I got bored of quickly).

I still make a point of reading sleeve notes (usually while uploading the CD to iTunes as they can make very interesting reading. 

I remember purchasing Pulp's album "His 'n' Hers" when it first came out and reading the sleeve notes there was an instruction "Please do not read the lyrics whilst listening to the recordings." which for some reason I followed and can't recall disobeying ever since!

These days I still buy CDs but it's rare that I'll listen to an ablum end-to-end on the hi-fi, I just upload it to iTunes and wait for the tracks to come up randomly. I put recently purchased CDs on the car and listen to them there - but it's not the same. 
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Glad I started this thread - seems it's resonated and I'm not the only one!