Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Band - The Last Waltz

feck me how awesome is this, and boy can Robbie Robertson play... just that one concert has increased my appreciation for 60s/70s artists 1000%
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• feck me how awesome is this, and boy can Robbie Robertson play... just that one concert has increased my appreciation for 60s/70s artists 1000%

I love the bit where Clapton's guitar falls off his strap just as he's about to take a solo in 'further on up the road'. There's a look over to Robbie who instantly takes over and plays a blinder of a solo.

My other highlight is 'The Weight' with the Staples singers, just glorious music.

However there are a lot of overdubs...and Robbie's vocal mic was usually for show so when you see him belting out the backing vocs that's a bit of a con....but still a great music movie/concert.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah when Clapton loses the strap RR takes over with aplomb, I only knew of RR with that Crazy River song late 80s.. delving into his bio revealsmhe has musically been a part of every Scorsesee film..

The Weight with the Staples is superb and I liked the Van Morrison performance too, again someone I know little about.
  • as mentioned above its a great film but its ruined by a lot of dodgy post production. RR could properly play though.
    How very rock and roll
  • the night they drove old dixie down is my favourite i think
    How very rock and roll
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Blimey haven't watched this gig in years - one of the first DVDs I ever bought! Must dig it out later :)
    All practice and no theory
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15768

big fan of the Band, one of the all time great bands.

Just waiting for lewy to pop up now

:D

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• There's an interesting bootleg out there that's the pre-tinkered concert recording (might be called 'the complete' or 'the real 'last waltz) 

Anyway I love The Band, just amazing musicians all round. I got to them as I was heavily into Dylan at college (still am). 

The Rock of Ages live CD is also great, and the Dylan/Band live Album 'Before the Flood'

Of course the first two Band albums are essential. 
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Great DVD . Highlights for me were Neil young and , I think it's called, stage fright . Oh a the group jam at the end.
  • yes I was impressed with the talent of the whole band..

have ordered the gig and the first album on cd
  • There's some lovely stuff... A big favourite of mine is Ricky's singing on "It Makes No Difference". I have a boot somewhere of Levon and the Hawks (post Ronnie Hawkins but pre Dylan) doing a load of RnB covers and absolutely killing it. What a band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7r12Rg490

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• Never been a huge fan of this film tbh but I do love the programme about The Band in the BBCs Classic Albums series. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Have a listen to the second disc of the Bob Dylan Official Bootlegs vol 4. It's the "Albert hall" Judas gig and Robbie Robertson is just amazing. The solo one too many mornings is possibly one of my favourite bits of music.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    Love this film. The bit with Van is probably my favourite, because I think he's a bit a wanker but he really lets lose and gives a fantastic performance:

Levon Helm though, what a man!!!

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • tbm said:
    Love this film. The bit with Van is probably my favourite, because I think he's a bit a wanker but he really lets lose and gives a fantastic performance:

It is werid to see him high kicking and generally not being the grumpy git he usually is.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585

It is werid to see him high kicking and generally not being the grumpy git he usually is.
    Totally! I love the camera focuses on him for those few seconds where he doesn't know what the Band are going to do next and he looks so unsure of himself.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    there's some great footage on youtube of a celeb tribute band playing the weight with levon on drums at a benefit concert not long before he died. He didn't sing, but he could still hit them skins, and you could tell what a blast he was having.

• Levon put out some new music in the last few years of his life that's not bad either, check out "When I Go Away" if you get a chance.  My old band "Cowboys on Fire" covered The Weight and The Shape I'm In for a couple of years, always got a great response.  These were some of the songs I never got tired of playing.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• feck me how awesome is this, and boy can Robbie Robertson play... just that one concert has increased my appreciation for 60s/70s artists 1000%

I love the bit where Clapton's guitar falls off his strap just as he's about to take a solo in 'further on up the road'. There's a look over to Robbie who instantly takes over and plays a blinder of a solo.

My other highlight is 'The Weight' with the Staples singers, just glorious music.

However there are a lot of overdubs...and Robbie's vocal mic was usually for show so when you see him belting out the backing vocs that's a bit of a con....but still a great music movie/concert.

Heres the tube of that bit, Clapton must have been off his nuts not to realise what was going to happen!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7911
    VimFuego said:
    there's some great footage on youtube of a celeb tribute band playing the weight with levon on drums at a benefit concert not long before he died. He didn't sing, but he could still hit them skins, and you could tell what a blast he was having.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    that's the fella,