Guitar Racks

I'm trying to design a guitar rack with left over Albizia Timber (Nice stuff, mahogany like, big open pores and grain) and I'm trying to design it so it will fit in with my '30's furniture but also make it have felted plywood dividers as well as pad rails on the bottom and a notched top rail for the neck, allowing around 12cm per slot.

Any suggestions?

This is about 80cm x 50cm and as far as I've got, it's hard to tell how 'Heavy' it will look without mocking it up.  The last thing I want is a chunking great big of extra furniture really, I thought I'd try and save space.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If you fit 7 guitars on a black 7 guitar rack, it disappears from view. Aesthetically, the impact of the guitars is so dominant. So it will only look like a large piece of furniture if you put standout design features on it that shout "look at me, behind the guitars!" :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited September 2015

True.  I'II see maybe use the 4" timber instead of the 6"

But since I want the guitars as tightly packed as the Floyd bars or body depth will allow, a cluster of guitars packed like that looks pretty awful.  I don't really want to look at the guitars anyway.  Maybe a couple of acoustics on short stands I'II make and the Mandolin and one electric I happen to be playing at the time, the rest can have a drape over them for all I care, I'm not really the type of guy who hangs them up, I just use them for different sounds, though they do look nice in their own right, all together it looks like vomit. lol.  The main reason for making one, apart from cost is that I can incorporate felt lined ply dividers really as I'm not the most careful tool once I get going.

I've been taking inspiration from 1930's deco furniture...and hall stands, they are the only thing that remotely resembles a guitar stand.  Dear oh dear.

• why not make a guitar out of it??
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Maybe one of those 6 guitar stands where you have two levels, each a circle of 3 guitars at 120 degrees to each other, with an offset of 60 degrees between the levels? Without guitars, the look very much like an elaborate coat/hat stand.
  • Chalky said:
    Maybe one of those 6 guitar stands where you have two levels, each a circle of 3 guitars at 120 degrees to each other, with an offset of 60 degrees between the levels? Without guitars, the look very much like an elaborate coat/hat stand.

That is what I'm going for.  A nice bit of elaborate Art Deco ish oiled wood.  I haven't the space for anything, only two straight walls and they have windows, the rest are pitched at 45 degrees from just over a metre up, which is a PITA as I can't even store guitar cases against them, not that I would as the walls don't have a cavity so anything hard up against the external wall is asking for mould/mildew because the cold bridge isn't ventilated like it is with a cavity wall.

It's only 22mm timber, no good fro anything else, left over from a gate I made for someone a few years back.

I wondered if anyone had any inspirational aesthetic designs I could nick.

I reckon I could fit 9 guitars (Acoustic or floyded w/ bar) with a 120mm spacing.