The Last Waltz, The Band

What's Hot
Just bought a new copy of DVD, possibly the best film of a concert ever! Discuss?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fantastic. So many highlights, The Weight with the Staples Singers, a cheary looking Van Morrison high kicking, Robbie flawlessly picking up a solo when Claptons guitar falls of his strap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    YES, Taff, Without doubt! :-)

Right Thread Over. 

I've flagged this, Admin's Please delete.....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • So many artist in their prime, yet only two of the band left!
  • A classic.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Just watching Mystery train, what a version, and the joy on their faces as they play off each other, amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I took my copy on tour and one of the bloody band members swiped it! This has reminded me I must get another copy asap!

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Great DVD @koneguitarist. Got my copy years ago, must give it a spin again soon. Thanks for reminding me..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I bought the caste tapes of it back in early 80's, got chewed up, eventually bought the CDs then DVD, then bought DVD again today. Just so good.
  • It's fantastic. Love EC's performance of 'Further On Up The Road' - even if his guitar does fall off its strap, his phrasing is superb. Robbie Robertson is fantastic throughout.

But it's on The Band's own stuff (The Weight in particular) when you remember just how superb they all were - every member is a great singer, as well as a master musician.

In fact I'm going dig out my copy and watch it. Thanks for reminding me of it @koneguitarist
  • I don't mind it, but I often speculate why Scorsese had so many long, lingering-dare I say even loving- closeups of Robbie Robertson.

I know they were mates, but it always struck me as a bit odd.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    I don't mind it, but I often speculate why Scorsese had so many long, lingering-dare I say even loving- closeups of Robbie Robertson.

I know they were mates, but it always struck me as a bit odd.
    Didn't that cause a lot of tension within the band....and seeing Robbie blasting out the backing vocals through the gig footage, when usually his mic wasn't even plugged in.
  • Trouble is that Band was so special that any one member missing creates a huge issue, such as Robbie writing everything.Rick, Levon and Richards vocals were spine tingling and the wizardry of Garth Hudson, on just about every instrument. Just an amazing band, changed Claptons whole view on what a band is about. Influenced far more people than they realised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Van Morrison's dress sense leaves a lot to be desired.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    edited September 2015
    Ricky's vocal on "It makes no difference" is beautiful. Great stuff from everyone.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• Gagaryn said:
    Van Morrison's dress sense leaves a lot to be desired.

It was the 70's, plus with his shape nothing would look right on him!
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Absolutely love the Last Waltz. My dad introduced me to this taped off late night tv in the late 80s when I was a young teenager. I was obsessed with The Band for a year or two. Robbie Robertson is probably top 3 players for me. Love the singing, arrangements, just lovely stuff. Totally opened my mind and ears to country music as well.