Anyone hear Brian Adams on r2

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
in Music tFB Trader
It featured the shitest guitar solo and worst tone I've heard in some time (pub bands included)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You should come and see my band mate.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's odd because early-mid era Bryan Adams was Strats with AC30s and Hiwatts at full tilt. Live recordings from the "Cuts Like a Knife" and "Reckless" tours sounded great because they didn't have as digital chorus all over them like the studio recordings.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    That's what happens when you sell your soul to Jeff Lynne. Everything that guy 'produces' ends up as sappy, crappy soulless radio play. Bland muzak for bland people.  It sounds like a bad Travelling Wilburys B Side. Guitars wilt at the thought of JL using them.. did you hear Joe Walsh's last album. That was another Lynne production :-S
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    That's odd because early-mid era Bryan Adams was Strats with AC30s and Hiwatts at full tilt. Live recordings from the "Cuts Like a Knife" and "Reckless" tours sounded great because they didn't have as digital chorus all over them like the studio recordings.
    This sounded like a horrible 80's Rockman type sound.
  • I saw him supporting ZZTop in 1991, as I remember it much livelier/ rockier than I thought he was going to be.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • It's on the iPlayer...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;779767" said:
    vasselmeyer said:

That's odd because early-mid era Bryan Adams was Strats with AC30s and Hiwatts at full tilt. Live recordings from the "Cuts Like a Knife" and "Reckless" tours sounded great because they didn't have as digital chorus all over them like the studio recordings.

This sounded like a horrible 80's Rockman type sound.
    Bare in mind it may not have sounded like that on stage - the broadcast mix is totally different from the FOH mix as it would have been a 'professional' BBC sound engineer mixing it in a truck at the back of the stage....probably with earplugs in because Union rules state he shouldn't be exposed to sounds in excess of 75db... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Ah, just watched it...I think the problem lies with Keith Scott using 4 x JCM900's, I take it back about the BBC engineer, poor guy was just trying to polish a turd....

Great set by Brian though, forgot how many great tunes he has!
    (formerly miserneil)
    edited September 2015
    miserneil said:
    Ah, just watched it...I think the problem lies with Keith Scott using 4 x JCM900's, I take it back about the BBC engineer, poor guy was just trying to polish a turd....

Great set by Brian though, forgot how many great tunes he has!
    Yep. I'm a big fan of his classic stuff and rock tracks on Waking Up The Neighbours are superb.  
    Listen Jeff Lynne.... this is how Bryan should sound:

• Waking Up the Neighbours is terrible Mutt Lang processed rubbish. It sounds like he was practising the production techniques he used for his missus (Shania Twain) on Bryan's album.

The best era for BA is Cuts like a Knife, Reckless and then Into the Fire from 1983 through 1985. It's a real purple patch.
    tFB Trader
    What was the album with 'Only Thing That Looks Good On Me is You' on? That was a bit of a return to form wasn't it?
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Ah... you mean 18 'til I Die. With the deep and meaningful I Wanna Be Your Underwear and the casually racist Black Pearl. Not his finest hour.
    tFB Trader
    vasselmeyer;779953" said:
    Ah... you mean 18 'til I Die. With the deep and meaningful I Wanna Be Your Underwear and the casually racist Black Pearl. Not his finest hour.
    Ah....
    (formerly miserneil)
    Waking Up the Neighbours is terrible Mutt Lang processed rubbish. It sounds like he was practising the production techniques he used for his missus (Shania Twain) on Bryan's album.

The best era for BA is Cuts like a Knife, Reckless and then Into the Fire from 1983 through 1985. It's a real purple patch.
    Oh that's a crock. WUTN has got some real punch... except fpr the soft tracks which admittedly are rahter dull. 
  • Im surprised, (dodgy guitar solo aside) his whole set was brilliant on TV, Im surprised Rod Stewart didnt try to pull a sickie instead of having to follow. Other than using a big gibson hollowbody which didnt suit the sound for Summer of 69, he was rocking.
  • Listening at work. So far great performance, slightly dodgy JCM tones aside.

I have no problem with the great big jazzbox though - most of BA's best stuff was recorded on a Gretsch Nashville.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Just watched it. I do think Keith Scott's guitar sound could have been better. Definitely a little fizzy at times. However, he's a really tasteful player. Very melodic and always plays for the song.

That's a great band and Mickey Curry is a top drummer. BA's vocals are fantastic.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    Just watched it. I do think Keith Scott's guitar sound could have been better. Definitely a little fizzy at times. However, he's a really tasteful player. Very melodic and always plays for the song.

That's a great band and Mickey Curry is a top drummer. BA's vocals are fantastic.
    I heard just the song on the radio which doesn't give you very much context, but the big wah solo was dreadful completely out of time and out of tune. You get a bit more context watching the video on iPlayer (which I did last night) as he's jumping all over the place, but it's still rubbish. 

I was very disappointed with Keith Scott in general. His guitar tone was horrible and fizzy and he continually bent notes sharp (which I find like nails down a blackboard) and played out of time.

I was however impressed with Brian Adams. He got some great sounds out of that Gibson hollowbody, his rhythm playing was tight and he's still got a big voice so I'm not slagging off the band in general. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2366

I've seen him at Manchester Arena a couple of times over the last 5 or 6 years and the guitar tones have been nothing less than stellar on each occasion.  So much so that I've rarely heard Strats sounding better at that type of rock in such large halls.

Keith Scott is a monster player (stick to position 2 on the Strat 99% of the time) and he & Bryan had great tone each time.

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Not bought any of his stuff since 18 till I die.

But, his earlier stuff is superb and as others have said here Scott is an awesome player on pah with someone like Gilmour for phrasing, note choices and tone imo.

Bryan Addams's voice too, is just as good today as it was 25 years ago, probably even better. Check out some of his 2014/15 live vids on youtube, he's deffo still got it.

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit