Question about creating an online database thingy! Web Nerds Required

Hello Everyone,

I have asked some questions about various things on here and music radar about copyright and databases etc over the last few years and im looking to try and start something I have been thinking about for a long time.

I am rubbish at web stuff so any suggestions of programs to use or if anyone wants to help/ has hosting please let me know, I think I have an idea of the web address I might buy so hopefully that might be sorted soon.

Basically I want to start an online research database (which contains images and text) which refers to historical musical instrument iconography (depictions of instruments in various different mediums). Having studied a degree and masters in musical instruments I realised how useful this would be for research purposes. As stated before I would only upload information for which there is no copyright or for which I have the copyright holders permission to upload.

So.....................

I don't want it to be complicated, I simply want a database that I can easily update which has maybe 3 or 4 pictures per item (max) and some brief information like description and citations etc etc. A bit like one of those shopping cart kinda systems but with nothing to actually buy.

I also need some way of having a general search function but also a more advanced search function. So for example if I was looking for depictions of lutes in paintings from between 1600-1700 I could choose Lute from the list of instruments in the search panel and then the medium ie paintings and then the date period.

So looking for search functions:

Instrument Type
Medium
Date

Something like that!

Anyone have any good ideas for hosting or programs or anything?

Any help or info would be much appreciated much love

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    A wordpress based site would do what you want.

Either create a custom theme or find a free theme that's close enough to what you want to do and tweak that to suit.

It'll be a bit of a learning curve depending how much html and/or php you know.

• Hmm ok sounds interesting I have seen a few wordpress sites and they seem fairly good
    Old Is Gold
  • Looks like you can get good hosting and domain deals using one of their affiliates
    Old Is Gold
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    PM if you want any advice before jumping in!
  • Cool thanks I shall investigate it first then see if I have any questions.

I have had a hosting account and domain names registered with 1and1 for a long time and have never had a problem with them but they are a bit expensive really and I find their setup a bit confusing given that I am a tech idiot.
    Old Is Gold
  • I'm not sure wordpress is what you want, I would look at using something more like cakePHP, drupal or rails which is basic a quick scaffolding for CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) interface sites which is exactly what you do want.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hmm ok sounds like some other good options
    Old Is Gold