My Madness tribute band - Cairo East

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
edited September 2015 in Making Music
I'm a guitarist first and foremost who normally plays classic rock/AOR, pop, funk but by chance, I depped on bass for these guys 18mths ago and I'm now a permanent member - I've actually known them for over 30yrs and played in various bands with some of them. In fact, myself and half the band have a Squeeze tribute band as well.

Crikey. Madness basslines can be a bit challenging, as can stuff by The Specials (we've just started doing some of their stuff) and The Beat too, so's to add some ska-ish variety.

We've just got our website up (still needs some final tweaks) and that's us playing "Once step beyond".
If anyone needs a Madness tribute band or fancies having one on a line-up (Squeeze too), please get in touch with me and we normally cover London, Herts,Kent, Surrey and M25, but we have travelled further afield too - thanks
www.cairoeast.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    That sounds pretty good mate - like the website too.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Thanks @markv and much appreciated. It's certainly fun to play and perform their material.
  • Just getting One Step on the site, is there something I've missed ( although it's a perfectly good One Step)? Which ones by The Beat? We do Tears of a Clown and Whine and Grine, in a past band tried Mirror in the Bathroom but it never worked well. My sister used to work with David Steele the bassist with The Beat ( and later Fine Young Cannibals) before he was famous(ish) so I've always felt a connection! X_X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    edited September 2015
    @EricTheWeary - that's it for the moment and more will be added as we "tweak" the website but we do all the Madness hits and plenty of lesser known ones like the busy "In the city", "On the beat Pete" & "In the rain".

Re:The Beat, we're doing "Mirror in the bathroom" and I use an octaver on the bass and that seems to work well and I'm sure we'll do "Tears of a clown" at some point and "Hands off she's mine".

Re.The Specials, we're doing "Monkey Man", "Nite Klub" and will no doubt attempt "Too much too young" soon.

The Madness basslines by Mark Bedford (Bedders) whilst challenging at times do seem to make sense to me and they're nice patterns/arpeggios to play but I do find Horace Panter's parts difficult and he's a wonderful player.

As to connections, Mrs.KK is from Coventry and her brother was in the band King and so they know all the other Cov bands/musos like The Specials, The Selector and Hazel O'Connor. Some good music came out of that place.
  • Forgotten Hands Off, we do that. A lot of the Beat ones were in altered tunings so the basic guitar parts are sometimes harder than they sound to play (in standard).
    The last gig we did someone requested Nite Klub, I've done it in a previous band and one of those where I'm not sure it's widely known. Our set is on hold due to using deps so we can't really rehearse more interesting stuff at the moment.

When I lived In Coventry I'd missed 2Tone but King were doing well and I dated Paul King's cousin at the time. She was a sexy MILF who would be a pensioner by now I think. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom