Ryan Adams' 1989

What's Hot
Is really rather good. Should provide a happy compromise with MrsF for in-car listen for a bit :D

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bet Neil Finn hates it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497

I love this version, brilliant 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn't he do the same thing with The Strokes "This is It"?
  • I don't know but it sounds like the sort of thing that I should go and find if it exists :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    oooh, a few weeks ago I read about him recording this but there weren't any clips available at the time. I'll have to see if I can get round my work's internet settings to get youtube working so I can have a listen!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Am a huge fan. Seen him live, got most of the albums. Not sure i can stomach him playing that G-D-Em-C sequence or its variants one more time though. Just listened to his 1989 and am currently half-way through James Bay's album and the latter is way more interesting.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Is it available to stream exclusively on Apple Music, though?
    Stop crying, start buying
  • His guitar players on Instagram @totallytod he's got some serious chops
  • Moss said:
    Is it available to stream exclusively on Apple Music, though?

I think Taylor Swift's 1989 album is - the original and best.
  • Ok go to have to be honest with you I listen to this album and it's pretty good.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1195
    Stuff like the whole Neil Finn thing is what disconnects me a bit from Ryan Adams. To me, he just lacks something and without that something, he'll just be good, but not special. I can see why he thinks it's ironic and clever to cover a Taylor Swift album, and he does a great job, but think of the artists you really admire... would they do that? I don't think the ones I really admire would, and that leaves me feeling Ryan Adams isn't quite the real deal. But that's just me. These things affect us all differently... happily. :)
  • Honestly, the album is good.  It's hard for me to pick a favourite because I think Taylor's is the best pop album of 2015 by far.  Ryan Adam's 1989 is darker sounding and grittier.  
  • This is good and has great reverb:

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    I'm still undecided on it to be honest. It's all a bit "demo-y" and not a patch on the original. 

I love Ryan Adams, but I'll just go back and listen to "Gold"...I don't see this holding my attention for very long.

Good publicity stunt though :) 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    I've really enjoyed most of his covers. I loved his recent self titled album.
    But this? Nah. It sounds like a cheap stunt to my ears and doesn't offer much different to the originals.

This, however...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm listening to this at the mo whilst doing all my cooking ahead for my house warming party this weekend and I personally love it. I don't like Taylor Swift as an artist, her voice and the production on get songs grates on me, but they are incredibly catchy songs and very well written, so a different treatment of them is ace. And not just the usual ironic style Live Lounge esque crap they put out on radio one.

I do rather like Ryan Adams though to be fair
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitariguitari Frets: 19
    I'm really liking it too, with the exception of Shake It Off, prefer the original.

Don't think his version of the Strokes "This Is It" was ever released?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9723
    edited October 2015
    I don't think I'd go as far as buying an album of Taylor Swift covers, even though I think he's a genius.

He's got a fantastic grasp of other people's songs imo. Not just covers like Wonderwall, but Is Anybody Wanna Take Me Home? is the best song The Smiths never wrote.