Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Ha, yeah he hates SM-57s.

But then, when you have that many mics (6 4038s!) and you're aim is to capture the actual sound in the room rather than a heavily filtered/ mangled version of it, I can see why you might not have much time for the lowly '57.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I've quoted that SM57 comment for years.
    He's kinda right, but people like them.
  • I've never been a great fan of SM57s, at least not on their own. I've found they add a nice bit of detail when used with an AKG C414 (my favourite mic), but that's just about the only situation I'd use them in with guitar.

Can sound nice on a snare, though, if you can stop the drummer hitting it every few beats.
    <space for hire>
  • I love Steve

Steve Albini on "Fake Italian":

Fwiw Audix I-5's are great mics that should rightfully replace 57's for the most part.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Man, I hate I5s. They're like the SM57's tinny brother
    :P
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10407

Hi hat leaking into the snare mic was always a problem with some drummers, and that mid hump of the 57 made the spill sound awful. So If I'm recording a drummer and he's not got enough level and attack on the snare I'll use something like a 945 as a snare mic. The spill will still be there but at least it will sound nicer

Always found the 57 fine on guitar although if I'm tracking a whole band at once I will use Senn 906's, not cause they sound better than a 57 for guitar but because they pick up less spill from other instruments 
    www.2020studios.co.uk