Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rattle that Lock ??? What's your thoughts :-)

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 565
I bought the album . . . . I really like it, but it took a couple of listens . . . What's your opinion ? ?
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    After a few listens, it's a Gilmour album, it does exactly what it says on the tin. I still prefer his first 2 solo albums tbh, but at least he is still doing it :)
  • made it about 2 mins in to whatever track he had on his web page..pointless gospel bollocks.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked it quite a bit. Faces of Stone and A boat lies waiting are great tunes. 
  • I quite like the title track with the French Railways sample.

I don't like the lyrics though.
  • Skarloey;792856" said:
    I don't like the lyrics though.
    Let's be honest - if you you were married to a highly intelligent, beautiful woman, who is nearly twenty years your junior and she presented you with some 'iffy' lyrics - you'd just get on with recording them, wouldn't you?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @richardhomer

Mate, from what I gather she's a Radio 4 type, home counties lady novelist.

I really doubt that she's my type. ;)
  • Skarloey;792936" said:
    @richardhomer

Mate, from what I gather she's a Radio 4 type, home counties lady novelist.

I really doubt that she's my type. ;)
    Notwithstanding that, I'd have a dabble....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited September 2015
    You'd have a Margaret Drabble with a prim lady novelist?

(Drawls in East Lancs accent)"Yer duurrrty devil yer". .
  • Listened to it via Google Play yesterday. One of the dullest records I've heard in a while.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited September 2015
    Let's be honest - if you you were married to a highly intelligent, beautiful woman, who is nearly twenty years your junior and she presented you with some 'iffy' lyrics - you'd just get on with recording them, wouldn't you?
    If that happened to me, I'd put the lyrics on the fridge door and tell my 10 year old wife how fantastic they are. It probable wouldn't go any further than that.

I've not heard the new album yet so my opinion could well be about to be totally shattered, but I've always considered Gilmour a master guitar player and a dull songwriter.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Listened through it all a couple of times on Spotify last night - A resounding 'meh' from me.  A couple of interesting guitar moments, but they all either go nowhere or get randomly faded out far too soon.  

Half the songs on the album sound like they're slightly out of his vocal range, which doesn't help. Not one on my 'buy' list.

And my god, the lyrics are awful.  I know David is no master lyricist, but Polly truly does churn out some tripe.

It's weird how Gilmour is simultaneously one of my favourite guitarists (Waters-era Floyd and first solo album) and one of the musicians I find the most achingly dull (pretty much everything after).  I really, truly want him to put out something amazing, but I've pretty much given up hope of that ever happening again unless Roger starts camping out on his lawn and mooning him through the window every morning.

On the plus side, it does make 'On An Island' seem slightly less boring in comparison.  Slightly.

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On an Island was very good but this (from the quick listen) is meh. The single just sounds like an 80s cutting room floor sweep up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually prefer the new one to On an Island. It's just what a Gilmour solo album sounds like, he's not going to come out with a radical change of direction or anything ground breaking at this stage in his career. The playing is great, I like the production, the lyrics suffice....and it gives him an excuse to tour, and he's still stunning live (with the help of a top notch light show of course).
  • You know it's just occurred to me that since the song is inspired by a railway platform jingle, he should have gone the whole hog and recorded the vocals with a peg on his hooter, singing through the tannoy at Waterloo Station.
  • I've already got About Face. Do I really need any more Gilmour?
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Skarloey said:
    You know it's just occurred to me that since the song is inspired by a railway platform jingle, he should have gone the whole hog and recorded the vocals with a peg on his hooter, singing through the tannoy at Waterloo Station.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just bring back Roger for that effect?
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, there's nothing wrong with that really, but there is nothing remotely wow about it.

I also really noticed a deterioration in the vocal quality. He sounds old. To be fair, he pretty much is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    I've listened to it, not that fussed about doing so again. It's not as bad as I was expecting - the title track, which I'd already heard, is awful. The rest is a bit better - but the remixes on the Deluxe version are especially dire. I like it better than On An Island, but that's not saying much...

Just no memorable songs, poor lyrics and too many little bits that are recycled from much greater times - I know it's harder not to do that nearer the end of a long career than the beginning, but he doesn't seem to be trying not to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 565
    ICBM said:
    I've listened to it, not that fussed about doing so again. It's not as bad as I was expecting - the title track, which I'd already heard, is awful. The rest is a bit better - but the remixes on the Deluxe version are especially dire. I like it better than On An Island, but that's not saying much...

Just no memorable songs, poor lyrics and too many little bits that are recycled from much greater times - I know it's harder not to do that nearer the end of a long career than the beginning, but he doesn't seem to be trying not to.
    Good points & well made too . . . . It took me a few listens but Im ok with it now, that said, Im not a fan of "Parts"  Some tracks are really just "Parts" of a Jam or a few good riffs looped together . . . No real beginning, middle & end . . .  Im a fussy old Hector these days and I quite like structure :-)   
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    5/10 from me... And I'm a big Gilmour fan.