Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

An unkillable computer virus - allegedly....

What's Hot
Came across this news snippet about a virus that can supposedly jump to an unconnected and isolated computer.

Bollocks or should we be afraid....very afraid.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited November 2013
    Im sure there'd be other "wireless" mediums to worry about before ordinary sound,  but not from computer to computer
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • it's bullshit
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited November 2013
    If I found a way of getting pcs to talk to each other without a protocol or dedicated transmitter and reciever ... I'd be more interested in selling it and buying a string of yachts, stately homes and sports cars than making a grubby virus for Russian geeks.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27141
    edited November 2013
    I'm calling bullshit. To do this, you'd have to have speakers which are capable of transmitting sound beyond the range of human hearing - standard laptop speakers tail off at around 15kHz. You'd also have to have a mic which can receive that - again, the rolloff for laptop mics is well within the range of the average human being.

I'd suspect a dodgy BIOS, or perhaps infected drivers. Or, more plausibly, a part of the audio drivers which tries to do network-y stuff (maybe a loopback/keep-alive signal?), which then becomes inactive when audio hardware is disabled.

The true way to test it - which is pretty bloody obvious - is to acoustically isolate the machine and see if it still receives the signals. If it does, then it's got to be something localised to the computer itself.

EDIT: I'd also call this guy totally incompetent - he's been battling it for 3 years, and only "recently" discovered that it can propagate via USB storage devices.
    <space for hire>
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I call bullshit...

A virus spread through sound? Ok I'll suspend my disbelief for for a moment...

Why are A researcher and his team trying to kill it? surely this will have spread before it was noticed? The owner of machine zero would surely pop to a few cyber cafes infecting dozens of machines at a shot...

Seems more likely that a Russian research wants a grant so made up some BS... 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    April fool
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73154
    edited November 2013
    Even if it could possibly be done given the very low data rate you could get at audio frequencies, defending a computer against it is simple - just disconnect the mic. Physically if necessary - but if it's turned off in software, any command to turn it on can't get in either.

In any case, how could instructions picked up by the mic - even if recorded - be executable, unless the computer is set up for it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    BUT.......... you're all assuming this is OS based  it might not actually be ............ just something that can spread from device to device............
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • It's still bullshit
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10617

Sound picked up from the mic goes to the AD stage of the soundcard, which is hardcoded in it's clock and bit depth . None of this is connected to the BIOS even let alone the OS. To spread a virus via sound using conventional AD \ DA  would be impossible. 

But audio over ethernet, with no AD \ DA ......... that's possible if the driver was attacked
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34007
    Total and utter bullshit.
    This is the tech equivalent of the Loch Ness monster, the Yeti or a sexually attractive Geordie.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought Windows was the unkillable virus
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • This was actually the premise of an awful film once
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Ahh yes this is the one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0292506/
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The Company will want it for their Weapons Division.

• The only thing I can think of that can move between unconnected computers and perform unwanted deep system configuration changes that render machines irreparably inoperative is called "The IT Support Department".
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • @CabbageCat Sorry I couldn't give you a Wisdom as well as a LOL for that.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • There you go peoples
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Im deeply sceptical but I dont think its impossible . It would depend on the manufacturing process of certain components on the mother board and a thick layer of conspiracy as to how and why they are there at all . A good portion of components are made by the cheapest supplier are they not ? and where do those originate from ? Its probably nothing to do with audible sound at all , more likely that the pc's in question are infected the moment they are assembled .
    Flown the nest .