1969 Martin

What's Hot
GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
edited September 2015 in Acoustics
A guy on Facebook has been asking me for info about a Martin he's acquired. He's not a guitarist and knows nothing about guitars but wants some info. It needs some restoration as can be seen in the pics. he's checked the serial number and it's apparently a 1969 model. What he's most keen to know is its value in the condition it's in (so do I as I may be interested in buying it, he's local to me).  Any ideas? And any other info would be appreciated. Cheers!

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag194/alwoodcock999/Martin 3_zpscluvovj5.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag194/alwoodcock999/Martin 4_zpscosc0279.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag194/alwoodcock999/Martin 2_zpsvodwntol.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag194/alwoodcock999/Martin 1_zpsnx0lyf5r.jpg

Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    edited September 2015
    This looks similar:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/martin-0-18-1969-natural

Not sure how strong the market for (very) small bodied Martins is in this country - 000s/OMs and dreadnoughts are generally the most desirable.

Suitably restored, I would imagine it would be a lovely guitar. That said, if it needs things like a neck reset - which older Martins often do - it's likely to cost a lot to put right.

My instinct is it's probably not more than £1000 - but I don't profess to be an expert.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Is that crack in the butt all the way through?
    Looks like it.
    It will need cleating and splinting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's hard to say without someone seeing it properly. I've put him in touch with a local luthier, so he'll probably be able to give him a valuation. Just found another pic. The scratchplate's lifting, so I wonder if it's been too hot or damp (or both) at some point?

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag194/alwoodcock999/Marting 5_zps6ure5ik0.jpg

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    edited September 2015
    Guitarse said:
    It's hard to say without someone seeing it properly. I've put him in touch with a local luthier, so he'll probably be able to give him a valuation. Just found another pic. The scratchplate's lifting, so I wonder if it's been too hot or damp (or both) at some point?

No, that's normal, the acetate material shrinks and does that - the one on my '71 D12-35 is exactly the same. There may also be a crack in the top along the edge of the pickguard under the B string - very common and caused by the shrinkage pulling the wood apart, mine has that too. The only solution is to replace the guard, the shrinkage cannot be reversed and sticking it down again won't work.

Has the bridge been off, or is that just dust around it? There's also another obvious split in the top leading to what appears to be a repaired hole, so it's going to need thorough checking over at least.

Given the overall condition it's not going to be worth a fortune, but as richardhomer says, if restored it could be a nice player and sound very nice. I really don't have an accurate idea of a value but I agree that it will be under £1000 as it is, possibly not far off as low as half that if it really needs a lot of work including a neck reset.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited September 2015
    I don't know if the bridge has been off ICBM, I haven't seen the guitar, just these pictures, zooming in on the picture it's difficult to say.
    I reckon that bridge has been off.
    Hard to see from the pics though.
    edited September 2015
    You reckon octatonic? It is difficult to tell I agree.

edited September 2015
    Well, this is my thinking- the pickguard is lifting, which is revealing the wood underneath.
    In the picture the wood around the bridge is the same colour as the bit revealed by the pickguard lifting.

It looks like the bridge has been taken off at some stage and glued back down without any refinishing being done.
    Also, that doesn't look like a bridge that is 46 years old.
    I can also see something between the E and A string, on the edge of the bridge- is that a gap or a hole?

It is a best guess though- I'd need to see it in person really.
    edited September 2015
    edited September 2015
    The image above helps a bit. It doesn't look like dust around the bridge, but the pattern that's formed follows the line of the strings. Not sure what the black mark is. Hopefully I'll get to see it properly soon.

Thanks for the input gents, much appreciated.
    Pretty sure it has the 'Martin pickguard split' almost under the B string too. It runs off at a slight angle because the wood grain does on this one. Not a big deal because it's so common, but another thing that will need to be fixed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah, I can see what you mean now ICBM. The guy who's acquired it is going to get it valued sometime this week I think. Be interesting to see what figure he comes up with.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11717
    That would be a birth year guitar for me.  Nice to know what kind of problems to look for if I ever try to get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have had another thought about what the 'dust' might be - when the pickguards degrade, they emit a gas which causes a faint whitish clouding on the finish if the guitar is in the case. It rubs off easily, but if it's been allowed to really build up it might be harder to, and it would probably get left around the bridge and under the strings where it's hard to get at.

Since the guard started to shrink I've sometimes opened the case on mine and found the clouding starting, so I've cleaned it off - I've never seen it get as bad as that, but that reminds me… I should go and check it! I haven't had it out in a few months.

Here's the pickguard on my 12-string, with the shrink/curl and the 'Martin crack' (repaired). The finish is slightly more matt under the strings where I haven't been able to polish it as much too, but it doesn't show very well in the pic.