SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

TRADED

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited September 2015
    Maybe Fred although I have no idea what it is (googling)
    Back

looks nice to me, is it easy to play and set up?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here is mine between the tele and the strat. See, its a sort of mix. It's very easy to set up and play. No messing about with Floyd's ! One pickup selector knob, one volume. Not even the faff of a tone knob!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/Music/my guitars/IMG_20150825_230942049_zpsi7bprhni.jpg
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    edited September 2015
    I am being really shallow I know but I now hate black guitars :(

How is £150 to whoever wants it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, no problems :)
  • Don't suppose you have a parlour guitar you are not using? ;)
  • Just a quick note that this is far closer to being great now. The string blocks (sorry don't know the real name) in the bridge were wrong. They had been ordered from highest on low e to lowest on high e. I was thinking in bed last night about the fretboard shape and after googling this morning found out they should be ordered the same way. High in the middle dropping off to edges. The string heights are now not up and down and I'm pretty proud of myself for working it out lol.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    edited September 2015
    Good stuff, a lot of people don't realise that the string blocks on a half decent floyd are not all the same. AFAIK  they are in pairs top E & low E, A & B and D & G so that they match the fretboard radius.  From the look of it the Floyd on yours is a Schaller made Floyd Rose II. Not the best but certainly one of the better licensed Floyds.

As you have found out, there is quite a lot to learn about Floyds and setting them up properly. For instance, in your photos the Floyd is angling back into the cavity. This should really be set flat so the baseplate of the Floyd is parallel to the flat top of the guitar. This is done by balancing the tension of the strings against the trem claw screws inside. It looks like you need to unscrew the trem claw screws a bit. This will make the tuning go flat, so tune back up. Is the Floyd parallel to the top? If not repeat the process. This can take a while to get right!

Another method
    1. press down on the trem bar until the baseplate is parallel to the guitar body
    2. insert a wooden block (or something else) between the trem block and the back of the trem cavity. (you may need another pair of hands to do this) so that the Floyd sits parallel. This means the block has to be the right thickness! A block of paper will do at a pinch.
    3. Release the trem bar, it should now stay parallel to the guitar body on it's own. The wooden block should now be wedged between the trem block and the back of the trem cavity.
    4. tune up to pitch
    5. slowly tighten the trem claw screws. Tighten one screw a quarter turn, then the next screw a quater of a turn and keep doing this across all your screws. Eventually the wooden/paper block holding the tremblock will eventually fall out due to gravity. Your Floyd should then be set perfectly flat and the string tension perfectly balanced against the depth of the trem claw screws.

This IS a hassle but a properly set up Floyd is a good thing™.

God, I go on a bit don't I? :)  Oh and no parlour guitars here :(
  • Sorry, I'm derailing the thread, as you were!
  • Lol that's ok, I didn't know it was meant to be flat. Its an awful lot if faff isn't it? I have no doubt for experienced players there are benefits but I very much doubt I would see them. The biggest discovery I have made so far is that I love the sound of the single coil pickups in my pacifica and squier strat but not the sound of humbuckers so much. I still don't fully understand why this is the case but I am learning.