Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What I'm starting to learn about singing...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I prefer the school of JJ Cale and Zappa vocals myself..............
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I prefer the school of JJ Cale and Zappa vocals myself..............
     JJ's delivery sounds easy, but it isn't simple to be that laid back and messing with the groove.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Drew_fx do you ever sing without music?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • For me, the whole singing thing has been a simple source of fear - my voice is ridiculously uncontrolled, to the point where even with practice I can't hit simple intervals accurately at all. It's only when I started my current band that I realised that, for truly good singers, their voice is no different from any other instrument.

It just reinforces my original logic for learning to play guitar - at my primary school, everybody had to do a musical recital in the school assembly. Most people just sang something, but for me they made the exception on the condition that I had to learn to play an instrument by the end of the year. As I recall, I played Andante by Ferdinando Carulli. Badly, but better than having to sing.
    I've been doing lessons for about 8 months or so and while I'm still not good enough in my opinion to sing live (especially since there are already 2 great singers in my band) I have seen dramatic improvement and am within sight of being able to do so. Like you I had considered myself as someone who would never be able to sing before that.

One interesting thing is the lessons focus far more on tone than pitch. Once you start being able to control the tone more being forward, giving support etc the pitching becomes much easier. I think that actually partly it's because you're learning to separate control of the various parts of your mouth and throat. When I started my sense pitch was also tied up with releasing the hold on my vocal chords which made it really difficult to control pitch.

Sadly with a baby on the way I think the lessons might need to be paused pretty soon. Does anyone know any good online courses etc? 

Maybe we should start a singing support group thread on here :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • good points ^^^

I would avoid any kind of teaching that doesn't have actual interaction with someone. You wont know if you form is correct and you could develop some bad habits 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Jalapeno;809883" said:
    Neckwringer said:

I prefer the school of JJ Cale and Zappa vocals myself..............

JJ's delivery sounds easy, but it isn't simple to be that laid back and messing with the groove.
    Funnily enough I really love J J Cale's singing, even though you tend not to think of him as a 'singer' in the technical sense.

I bet it came totally naturally (no pun intended!) to him.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    @Drew_fx do you ever sing without music?

Erm... I guess I do? When I'm in the shower or dancing around the house completely billy bollocks. But I don't really class that as singing.
  • Drew_fx said:
    @Drew_fx do you ever sing without music?

Erm... I guess I do? When I'm in the shower or dancing around the house completely billy bollocks. But I don't really class that as singing.
    Ewwww... not an image I wanted in my head (or anywhere else).
  • Drew_fx said:

TBH it's tough to practice when you're in a flat
    It really isn't.
    Missed this. 
    I think so - I tend to sing quite loudly and find I get embarrassed and don't want to disturb the neighbours (or the others in the next room!)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:

TBH it's tough to practice when you're in a flat
    It really isn't.
    Missed this. 
    I think so - I tend to sing quite loudly and find I get embarrassed and don't want to disturb the neighbours (or the others in the next room!)
    Get over it.
  • You miss my point - the neighbours and people in the room aren't going to get over it! That's why we're probably going to buy a detached house soon and I can have a music room (woohoo).

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    My neighbors have been singing Whitney Houston badly and loudly all day, they can suck my dick.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    thomasross20;809010" said:
    I might take up singing lessons again. TBH it's tough to practice when you're in a flat
    If it's the high notes you're struggling with, try G or F# instead.

;)