WASP are back with a bang

What's Hot
Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
Well this was a surprise, just listened to the new WASP single "scream", (watch the lyric video, rather good that) and it is pretty awesome, full on 80's metal, but with a touch of refinement that adds a nice smooth layer to it.

Not always liked WASP in mid 90's early 2000's, Dominator apart, but this is bang on it.

Listened to the other single Last Runaway, not quite as good, however the audio quality on the link made it hard to listen to, but again it has given good indication of the almost thrash like direction WASP have gone in.  Cant wait for the album to arrive in the post tomorrow!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WASP are pretty good.  Blackie can write some great ballads. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    The first WASP album is perfect Heavy Metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Crimson Idol.  One of the best rock albums ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    I love Crimson Idol.  One of the best rock albums ever.
    It is an epic album full of so much memorable material. Really good songwriting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11704
    tFB Trader
    Was supposed to be a Blackie Lawless solo album , and his obsession with The Who kind of shines through as it has a few Quadraphenia like moments.

The lead playing by Bob Kulick (yes brother of Kiss' Bruce Kulick) is superb.

Also a big fan of the first two WASP albums - last command should get more love really.
    Was at the Lyceum gig in '84 - that was insane.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Wow this sounds great!! I've never heard Crimson - must rectify that!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    It has some really good songs and I like Blackie's voice.  But the whole "concept" is absolute bollocks.

(But then I'm never fond of concept albums.  As @FelineGuitars knows, I even think Operation: Mindcrime is very silly.) 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11704
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    It has some really good songs and I like Blackie's voice.  But the whole "concept" is absolute bollocks.

(But then I'm never fond of concept albums.  As @FelineGuitars knows, I even think Operation: Mindcrime is very silly.) 
    Yeah - that's just crazy talk Philly :)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I always hated WASP. Not based on the music, which I can't even remember to be honest, but I always thought that Lawless was an annoying jerk. Shallow opinions, they make the world go around.
  • I'm not big on concept albums I have to say
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361

Read this thread earlier and drove to work this morning with Live...in the Raw blaring....great fun.

"I'M...BLIND...IN...TEXAAAAAAS"

ahem.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Was supposed to be a Blackie Lawless solo album , and his obsession with The Who kind of shines through as it has a few Quadraphenia like moments.

The lead playing by Bob Kulick (yes brother of Kiss' Bruce Kulick) is superb.

Also a big fan of the first two WASP albums - last command should get more love really.
    Was at the Lyceum gig in '84 - that was insane.
    I LOVE the Last Command, awesome album, in an 80's metal way. I love the Headless Children as well, and Crimson Idol was the album that got me into WASP, and was one of the first albums I ever bought.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2648
    The Headless Children is my fave WASP album, more serious and a little darker than their earlier efforts. Also it has the best Who cover ever IMO.
  • Wow this sounds great!! I've never heard Crimson - must rectify that!
    Definitely check it out.  

cruxiform said:
    The Headless Children is my fave WASP album, more serious and a little darker than their earlier efforts. Also it has the best Who cover ever IMO.
    Ah yeas The Real Me.  Blackie's vocals are superb.  
  • I love Crimson Idol, the line "where is the love...to shelter me." I found very powerful around the time the record came out as my mother had recently died. 

Looking forward to hearing the new album.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2648

I agree. What I like about it is that they kept it pretty much kept to the original instead of messing about with it.
  • Listened to the new album last night and again this morning. Really great. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24781
    cruxiform said:

I agree. What I like about it is that they kept it pretty much kept to the original instead of messing about with it.
    The bass is different. And far better than the original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiform said:

The bass is different. And far better than the original.
    yes!

Love the bass fills in the second verse.  
  • My wife used to work in Tesco and served Blackie after their gig in the mighty Ebbw Vale leisure centre a few years back...