SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Shine SIL 510 £60 SOLD

What's Hot
GruGru Frets: 339
edited October 2015 in Guitars £
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD.

Truss rod cover not in picture as had just set the relief and action. But will be replaced. .

I have had this for 2 days (4 at time of edit)
I tried really hard yesterday, but I just have more fun playing acoustically than plugged in.

It all works. Tone a little crackly (switch lubricant may sort this)
It plays fine.
New Diaddario 10s.
Grover tuners (all working without issue)
Alnico pickups
Red Quilt top.
Action about 2mm bass 1.5mm treble
Frets are fine (see below)
Very comfortable to play sitting down. (Tummy cut).
Looks great.
Have original knobs if you want them.

Yesterday, I took it to a local tech who gave it a once over.

Firstly he said I had set it up well. This was a nice touch, as apart from me, i haven't ever had anyone check my setups.

Re the light scratches, he gave me some tips and they polished out beautifully. It now has a beautiful deep glossy top. If you look really hard in the reflections you can see some, but certainly not obvious.

He said 2 nut slots were a slightly low, but they could be filled a little and re cut. This has now been done by myself and seems to have worked as a temporary fix.
Personally I think I would still consider a new nut done just for neatnes, but it's usable in current form.

Re the frets, he checked them over with a rocker and gave it a play. He said there was nothing bad and it didn't affect its playability in its current setup. I guess if you wanted to go really low, it maybe something to be looked at in the future.

These apparently retailed years ago for £350, there is even one on eBay around this price at the moment!

It is a huge amount of guitar for £60. It cost me £70 2 days ago and it is now visually nicer and setup better than when I first got it.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    A similar guitar is my main gig machine, and I have a trans-black finished one also. I did fit mine with a new bone nut - it's quite an easy job to do, since the stock nut is not heavily glued in, and hasn't been finished-over. But get them set up nicely, and they make really terrific guitars - not lacking at all in tone or playability. If you were closer to me, I'd be highly tempted, but best of luck with the sale @Gru.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Currently Withdrawn.

Just remembered rule number 1 on this board is 'don't be a dick'

Selling a great feeling semi hollow for so little, when maybe what I need to do is just learn how to play an electric. I know in a month or two I will only spend another £200+ on another electric dream.

Going to take it to the tech today and get a quote to get it all mint and setup professionally.

Apologies.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Can't blame you - I honestly feel mine is, for all practical purposes, about as good as I could get sound-wise, and playing-wise also. And they do look pretty good too. I have fitted it with a nice set of zebra pickups (alnico 3 in the neck, alnico 2 in the bridge) and also a fret level and dress. Fully justifies the expense of quality pickups. Really can't fault it - I've had people at gigs asking what it is, expecting me to say something expensive/boutique. Makes a terrific jazz guitar, but versatile as well. I've had it strung with 12-52 strings for a while, and found the truss rod worked well and handled that with no problem. Just gone down to 11-48, which is a nice also.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers Megii.

Yours looks lovely. I did have zebra albeit Wilkinsons in my old black one, but going to leave this one stock for a while until I get used to the sound again and adjust my technique

Going to ask it to be set up with 11s and tuned to std D to d. (James Bay fan)
    Actually, the zebras are the second set I've fitted in it. I did have a black uncovered Axesrus Bourbon City set in there - they were very nice. But then I pushed the boat out and got a hand wound set made to order (not as pricey as you might think) and they have really been the finishing touch. For a while I thought zebras would look a bit too blingy, but I'm glad I went for them now.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    these always tempt me, specially at such good prices, bet with a mojo p90 in the neck and a mojo buckertron in the bridge (or Oilcity) these would be just awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    This has been reinstated and first post re-edited.

Decided that this would be better off in the hands of someone that enjoys electric. I tried again yesterday with this and a Squier Strat and I just don't enjoy it as much as I want to.

I love the look and concept of Electrics, but I just get so much more joy out of acoustics.

I will try to upload some better photos tonight.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    I'm a long way from Chelmsford! Is postage definitely not an option??? Will definitely have it if it is!!!!

A heck of a lot of guitar for just £60. They have nice satin-chrome Grover machine heads as well - those alone would probably cost £60 odd to buy.
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Yep I'm nowhere near Chelmsford either, otherwise I'd have it.

Not my usual cuppa, but at 60 quid... how could you not go for it?!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    Lovely guitar, wish it wasn't so far away.
    Me three
    Bargain of the month tackle that.
    Yes it certainly is. Once I polished it up yesterday it looked imense. I just wish I liked playing electrics as much as I liked the look of them. :-(

Currently in talks re sale.
    Bump

Collection still prefered but happy to meet within reason if required.

I have looked at postage, but not happy with the fit of the box I have. So currently cannot post.
    edited October 2015
    Difficult market at the moment, i thought this would be snapped up for £60??

Lady lumps bumps
  • If you were nearer Leicester I would own this by now
    And were you anywhere vaguely near Lincolnshire, I'd be snapping up this guitar. They really are great guitars folks, it's a bargain for someone out there...
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Have you thought about moving house? :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jookyjr;821242" said:
    Have you thought about moving house? :)
    It did cross my mind. Certainly seem to be in the wrong part of country for guitar folk.